Tell Me What You Know about Siding

What do you guys think about siding? I was thinking about Hardy board and my builder, doesn't seem to like it. Something about finishing the cut ends.
My husband is a firm believer in Hardy plank cement board. He's about to put some on a couple walls of a large open shed (30' x 24'). It needs to be rebuilt because a tree fell on it several weeks ago. Insurance considered it a total loss.

We have Hardy plank 4x8 sheets and trim boards on the house. Never needed re-painting in the past 20 years. A lot less maintenance required than the original material.

I was at a friends last week he replaced his siding 20yrs ago (vertical) It was Alcoa but now it’s sold as Mastic . He used American Walnut, the wood grain appearance is super. The color is a bit dark for my tastes but I was amazed it hasn’t faded at all. He held up a cutoff piece next to the full sun side and I couldn’t tell the difference.

Wood grain: For hardie board I think I like it? But I've never seen it in real life.
Not at home at the moment. Can take a close up of trim boards on the house late next week. Really looks like wood.

Isn't the zip system extremely water proof? My understanding is the stuff will last a year, or so, without a roof/siding.
it IS siding in the upstates lol!

We have dutch lap vinyl siding ( I think the color is pewter) with a light cedar pattern that was installed before we bought the house 18 years ago. It looks great. About once a year I fill a 2 gallon plastic spray can with Wet and Forget to clean the vinyl. No need to power wash. Wet and Forget takes off all the dirt and the green mold that forms on the north side of my house.

Our current house has vinyl and in every place you have ever leaned a ladder, there is a dent?
Um I'm starting to think this house might have aluminum siding.

This siding looks to be available to me from a local supplier, in a time frame that works for us:

Anyone have any experience with it?

Back