Tell Me What You Know about Siding

I'm going to continue to ask these questions in a regional ski forum. I'm sure my garage design was improved by input I got here.

I'm really only trying to settle on what KIND of siding I want. @Joneski73 is certainly qualified to tell me if his vinyl siding gets dented by a ladder.

After I've decided that I will surely consult with an expert.

I am asking about the rest to learn and become a smart consumer.

Tyvek is ok, just make sure it’s installed right. All seams taped, no gaps, wrapped around the window and door rough openings with flashing tape around the nailing flanges. I just like zip panels better - tape and roll the seams and corners and tape around windows. Just make sure on the nails that they are only driven flush with the surface, not below.

Also, which ever siding manufacturer you go with, follow their recommendations so if there is every a warranty claim, you’re covered.

I think my wife wants a lighter color. To me wood only makes sense if you are going to stain it. Once you paint it, it seems like a lifetime of work.

Would love to see pics or any/all installations.
I like Hardy/LP cement board siding, your guy is right you do have to treat the end at the trim boards

If your doing a light color in the woods though vinyl is the way to go so you can power wash all the growies off.
Ive seen some nice matte finish vinyls but don't know anything about them. I can't do fake wood grain texture

If your doing a light color in the woods though vinyl is the way to go so you can power wash all the growies off.
Ive seen some nice matte finish vinyls but don't know anything about them. I can't do fake wood grain texture

Maybe not "light" but a midrange color. Not the dark brown that wood eventually becomes.

How often do you powerwash vinyl? Do you end up getting a lot of water in the siding?

Wood grain: For hardie board I think I like it? But I've never seen it in real life.

I just like zip panels better

I just checked out zip systems, something like this?

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 5.01.43 PM.png

So it's a layer of insulation?

No, the green coating (also comes in a reddish brown). Replaces the Tyvek. They do make it now with rigid foam insulation attached to it, but I’ve never used it.
Isn't the zip system extremely water proof? My understanding is the stuff will last a year, or so, without a roof/siding.

No, the green coating (also comes in a reddish brown). Replaces the Tyvek. They do make it now with rigid foam insulation attached to it, but I’ve never used it.
Thank you.

The insulation outside is the barrier you need so the cold does not radiate down the wood.

Back