Tell Me What You Know about Siding

This siding looks to be available to me from a local supplier, in a time frame that works for us:

Anyone have any experience with it?

I’ve drilled holes through that type, seems okay.

I would order a couple more squares than you need for future repairs. I had a overzealous teenager with a weed wacker and later a tree fall and fling a branch into my siding. I didn’t have enough to replace the bad spots.

I would order a couple more squares than you need for future repairs. I had a overzealous teenager with a weed wacker and later a tree fall and fling a branch into my siding. I didn’t have enough to replace the bad spots.

Doesn't exactly sound super durable?

I watched a video, replacing bad sections seems like a PITA. I supposed that is probably true with any siding.

Doesn't exactly sound super durable?

I watched a video, replacing bad sections seems like a PITA. I supposed that is probably true with any siding.

Cement fiber siding I think would be the only type that could withstand a weed wacker as vinyl gets brittle over the years. .

Replacing a section of vinyl is not to difficult. There’s a special tool to unlock it. I’m sure there is some fading but I wouldn’t file an insurance claim over damage to siding unless it’s a huge area.

Spoke to A-man today. He uses the zip system, I like that.

Also likes the idea of the insulated vinyl.

And he is open to cement board, but may sub that out depending on how busy he is.

Anyone:

How tall is a story? I am trying to figure square footage of the walls to understand the cost of various siding options.

Do you ignore windows to have some extra?

I used 11 feet and the cost of the insulated vinyl, without labor, was eye popping.

Anyone:

How tall is a story? I am trying to figure square footage of the walls to understand the cost of various siding options.

Do you ignore windows to have some extra?

I used 11 feet and the cost of the insulated vinyl, without labor, was eye popping.

8’ interior walls I would figure 9’ with standard 2x10 floor joists.Windows I would ignore for calculation. Someone will screw up a cut. The guy I hired to do my place didn’t listen to my instructions for using fall off pieces for perimeter soffits and I had to buy more and the color didn’t match.

You need outside corners, J channel, undersill trim . Soffit and facia trim. Some coil stock for bending a box where the gable meets the roof. How thick is the siding? J channel needs to be sized accordingly.

I texted A-man. He said use 9'. Extra is also good in case something gets damaged, you can replace it?

I’m sure your blueprints say how tall your house will be. Why not just look at them?

This bothers me but not enough to replace my whole porch ceiling. I told my carpenter to do the porch first and perimeter soffit with the fall offs . I had quite a pile of scraps afterwards.
There was a subtle difference that has gotten worse with time.

Hopefully Harvey you are able to get enough product from the same manufacturers run.

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpeg
    IMG_3601.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 40
Back