Tell Me What You Know about Siding

Certainteed and Plygem are 2 of the big players in the business. Usually they have a thinner (cheaper) line for those on a budget and thicker ones which I’d recommend. There is also insulated vinyl siding which has foam insulation on the backside. It adds an R value to the siding and there are no hollow areas between the vinyl and the wall sheathing so denting from a ladder would be minimal or not at all. I use ladder pads on the top of all my ladders anyway to minimize dents and marks on the siding, they also grip the siding well so your ladder doesn’t slide.

There is also insulated vinyl siding which has foam insulation on the backside. It adds an R value to the siding and there are no hollow areas between the vinyl and the wall sheathing so denting from a ladder would be minimal or not at all.
I like the sound of this.

Whatabout cedar shake siding?
It looks real nice & lasts a long time until there’s a woodpecker attack.

Link to what you recommend? It doesn't get dented by ladders? How cold before it cracks?

Also like to hear from @sig
If you get good vinyl you can bang it with a hammer in 0 degree weather and it will be fine.

Ps these threads are the best. I learn a lot
Me too.
If you get good vinyl you can bang it with a hammer in 0 degree weather and it will be fine.
How about minus 20? I won't bang it with a hammer at that temp, but something could fall on it.

Me too.

How about minus 20? I won't bang it with a hammer at that temp, but something could fall on it.
I don't know what then temp in a freezer is but I put a piece in the freezer for the night and banged it with a hammer in the morning and nothing happened. I've never got a dent from a ladder against it. Those rubber sticky things at the end of the ladder has left gunk behind which is hard to get off. I have white siding. Power wash it once a year and it still shines like new 30 years later. The black shutters I have had to replace twice because they fade....

TJ are you using the insulated kind?

Freezer is not that cold maybe 25 degrees.

TJ are you using the insulated kind?

Freezer is not that cold maybe 25 degrees.
They didn't have that stuff back when it went on the first house. The second house I put one inch of styrofoam insulation up before I put the siding over it. It was my apartment house so it was the cheaper stuff and that does crack and break.

Back