Tales from the Hinterlands, 2020-2021

I went for another ski on the Hoks today. The jury is still out but they are great for setting new trails in fresh snow. One just has to keep in mind that people on longer skis may follow.

No pictures: does it count?
There’s been Hoksters (like hipster slowshoers) our on our local golf course that we ski on, they seem pretty gung-ho on straightlining every slope, I suspect they have a limiting snow depth in which they can actually slide fast enough to be able to turn, or even make it all the way down a hill doing figure 11’s. Whatever, they’re having fun and they aren’t slowshoeing or worse, postholing.

Another meadowskipping yesterday aft, I think I’m suffering from total FOMO. That’s what happens when one skis 25 out of 31 days in January.. the bar is set so friggen’ high now since I’ve been doing the Covid work at home deal. I can ski everyday after work instead of commuting, especially when my after work is pretty vague in time frame.

Attachments

• E370DC10-0E6D-40F4-A2F7-C1D429E29BAE.jpeg
    E370DC10-0E6D-40F4-A2F7-C1D429E29BAE.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 058F8057-E36D-488B-ACD0-5B81415807A8.jpeg
    058F8057-E36D-488B-ACD0-5B81415807A8.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 58
Well if SBR can’t post a recent pic of his infamous chair, then I’ll have to share a pic of our mailbox from this afternoon. We went XC skiing first thing this morning, and drove out of our driveway through about 10cm (4”) of fresh - skiing always comes first before snow removal. We got home at noon, it was pu-nuking. .. my little Hyundai Accent got continuous face shots down our street. I measured 40cm .. (16”). It’s still snowing as I post this. Epic day going down tomorrow at Secret Hill. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• 2CC5CC2C-BD00-47C3-B6A0-8AD4434D6FA8.jpeg
    2CC5CC2C-BD00-47C3-B6A0-8AD4434D6FA8.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 58
Well if SBR can’t post a recent pic of his infamous chair, then I’ll have to share a pic of our mailbox from this afternoon. ...

I thought that I was pretty prompt in that other chair report, even managed to post a pic from my phone in the correct orientation!

In any case, here is the other aspect of the chair today, taken with the trusty old camera:

chair 2-6-21.jpg

The original plan was that TD would come over after the nordic morning. Turns out he had too much snow snow in his driveway to to make a clean exit, so tomorrow it is. Needless to say there was snow to deal with at SBRHQ. In case you haven't been paying attention, I sold the aging Kubota tractor to a young fella who would be happy to spend money on it. The new snow removal device is this beast from our friends at Cub Cadet. It is a bit more of a workout but does a fine job.

Cub beast.jpg

I have had to modify my snowblowing attire a little bit.

Goggled driver.jpg

Following this adventure and a bite of lunch, I decided to go for a slowshoe just to keep moving. It is DEEP out there and more snow is coming down as I type. Just up from the house, I was greeted by this snow goblin:

Snow creature.jpg

Like I said, it is deep out there. Here I am on 30" modern snowshoes:

Knee deep on snowshoes.jpg

I thought that I was pretty prompt in that other chair report, even managed to post a pic from my phone in the correct orientation!

In any case, here is the other aspect of the chair today, taken with the trusty old camera:

View attachment 7972

The original plan was that TD would come over after the nordic morning. Turns out he had too much snow snow in his driveway to to make a clean exit, so tomorrow it is. Needless to say there was snow to deal with at SBRHQ. In case you haven't been paying attention, I sold the aging Kubota tractor to a young fella who would be happy to spend money on it. The new snow removal device is this beast from our friends at Cub Cadet. It is a bit more of a workout but does a fine job.

View attachment 7973

I have had to modify my snowblowing attire a little bit.

View attachment 7974

Following this adventure and a bite of lunch, I decided to go for a slowshoe just to keep moving. It is DEEP out there and more snow is coming down as I type. Just up from the house, I was greeted by this snow goblin:

View attachment 7975

Like I said, it is deep out there. Here I am on 30" modern snowshoes:

View attachment 7976

Ski ya tomorrow aft SBR. BTW, Ima hitting up Limberlost first thing as soon as the rope drops with Mr Mann. Hoping there’s some dregs left over there, though I’m thinking it will be sloppy seconds. No matter, as I know Colline Terces will be primo best day ever.

Back