Sweet Cars and Trucks

Wait what? The car market is the same as the stock market? Do you have options and collars and short selling and high frequency program trading? I never knew there was all that for cars.

mm

I think it depends on the vehicle. I'd posit that most automobiles, my Jetta for example are durable goods. I am not up on the fine points of car collecting, but when you get to this limited production stuff, like the carbon fiber mustang, it's a different story.

I think it depends on the vehicle. I'd posit that most automobiles, my Jetta for example are durable goods. I am not up on the fine points of car collecting, but when you get to this limited production stuff, like the carbon fiber mustang, it's a different story.

Very true

I've only known one true car collector. He was an odd duck, not liked by too many people, but for some reason he always liked me :unsure:

After he passed Barrett - Jackson bought his entire collection for a little over 10 million. Knowing him I bet he was mad as hell that his family sold it.

As an example --- some people are happy as hell if they can one 1 Superbird, he had 3.

I know a guy that fixed up primarily old Massey-Ferguson tractors. He has a metal shed 300 foot by 70 full of them..and his shop was storing the overflow All he restored to like new condition, himself by hand including the mechanical parts Many other ones mixed in to. Mean mean mean.
Another guy took me out to his metal shed. He must have had 25 thunderbirds from the 50's in it, he told me the number but I forget. Also one of the late model ones that went back into production.
I would say they are an investment. Just like fine art.
For the record a collar is an options strategy.

That's cool. The neat thing about collecting is there's no rule book to follow. If you think something is worth X great, you'll never know until you go to sell it. Then you'll find out if your roll of the dice was good or not.

I'm somewhat of a Browning shotgun collector. To me it's money in the bank. Won't know until I go and off some of them.

I don't think either of the guys we know were looking at them as an investment when they were in the middle of collecting them. At some point they realized what they were creating but making money on them was not the primary reason for doing it.

I don't think either of the guys we know were looking at them as an investment when they were in the middle of collecting them. At some point they realized what they were creating but making money on them was not the primary reason for doing it.

For sure. I think it just happens.

I know for me I wanted something I could turn to cash quick so that's why I went with shotguns. Who knows, most likely I'll never sell them and they'll end up in some garage sale somewhere.

Another guy took me out to his metal shed. He must have had 25 thunderbirds from the 50's in it, he told me the number but I forget. Also one of the late model ones that went back into production.
I would say they are an investment. Just like fine art.
Here's some data on 55 Thunderbirds: https://www.conceptcarz.com/valuation/1610/ford-thunderbird.aspx
Flat for 20 years. What's the ROI after you deduct insurance, maintenance and auction costs?

mm

Back