Snow Ridge Tornado

A very similar event happened at Mohawk Mountain, CT in 1989 - it was struck by an F4 tornado. It changed how the ski mountain looked forever. Luckily they were able to reopen the following winter.

As the clocks at the mountain struck 4:37 on the afternoon of July 10, 1989, an F4 tornado ripped through Mohawk, leaving $1.5 to $2 million in damage. Pieces of the ski area were later found scattered miles away. Buildings were destroyed and lifts were toppled. Initial industry analysis was that the ski area would not be able to open for at least a year, if ever. However, with the help of ski areas across the country, Mohawk was able to rebuild in time to open for the 1989-90 season. Nonetheless, the financial impact would affect Mohawk for years until it finally received full payment from its insurance company.

1691689235112.png

Last edited:
The Berkshires in Western Massachusetts including Butternut ski area were hit by a F4 (207-260mph) tornado May 29, 1995. My parents were about 5 miles away (it was Memorial Day Weekend) when it hit.

"The 1994-95 season was Butternut's worst in nearly a quarter of a century. In order to save money, new General Manager Jeff Murdock cancelled the area's property insurance. Two months later, in May of 1995, an F4 tornado hit Butternut, heavily damaging lifts, buildings, snowmaking equipment, and the countless trees that had been carefully planted and or saved over the years by Channing Murdock. Thanks to the help of ski areas all over the Northeast, as well as a $1.4 million Small Business Administration loan, Butternut was able to rebuild enough to reopen for 1995-96."

The Ski Cooper is interesting for sure, I guess that pass revenue is flowing. Windham I totally get, it's not a surprise to me.

NYSB still barely hangin in the first page :)

Almost $23K donated in 4 days! Keep spreading the word to help get the other half of what's needed to pay to get all the downed trees cleaned up.

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 6.28.24 PM.jpg

Back