Skis

Early Christmas gift. Head monster 98. In better shape then I thought I’m ready
58E80E6D-13C4-4BBD-9BAC-986052DA4F13.jpeg

Just a quick follow up/update on the Elan Ripstick.

As you may recall, I got the Ripstick 96 Black Edition and, yes, I found my deals on the Shift (I got the Atomic branded version). Actually, the skins I bought (Contour Hybrid) were just delivered.

Anywho….finally have some days on the Ripsticks. I’m really liking them. Nimble, stable, fun. Outside of a dedicated touring ski, the Ripstick Black are light. I was concerned that being light might allow them to get tossed around. I haven’t found that with some days on. This weekend, however, my son and my brother both took runs on my Ripstick setup. They have vastly different styles. My son craves speed and likes nothing more than a clean set of rails. My brother is an engineer who over-analyzes every turn. Both of them (independently) commented how stable the Ripstick are, surprisingly to them considering how light they are. Beyond the stability and edge hold they both observed….my son found them to be fast (I can’t keep up with him anymore) and my bother found that it made turns effortless.

Point being…..the Elan Ripstick is a really good, versatile ski that can serve a variety of skiing styles. If you are looking for new stix you could do a lot worse.

Last edited:
SKI width -

All I think there a bunch of posts on this.

I have one ski, JSki Master blaster, 96 mm under foot. 172 or 169 cm, I can't remember. I really love them, but on the super hard pack days I do feel the additional effort they take to get edge and platform angles that make me happy on stepper stuff in the control phase of a turn.

I have been watching more of Deb Armstrong's videos (really great - mostly for teaching young ski racers but I find what she says applies to someone who picked up skiing later). She is an advocate of going narrower (here is one video:
).

I am thinking about next year picking up a second set of skis; seems like the Volkl RTMs (maybe 78 under foot?) are well liked here for groomers.

Welcome input.

Back