Ski Rack, Cargo Box, Truck Bed or Inside?

For what it's worth, I've got a 2009 Impreza, and both my 177 and 152 cm skis fit inside with the back seats folded down and the skis placed diagonal.

For what it's worth, I've got a 2009 Impreza, and both my 177 and 152 cm skis fit inside with the back seats folded down and the skis placed diagonal.
Thanks. Not sure my 195s would make it though.
Box arrived last night. I’m gonna play around with it this afternoon

I figure it’s good for 3-4 sets of skis. The K2s fit no problem.

FAEA6BA0-B5DC-4E59-8EDD-F37C0A9F3A7D.jpeg

F61BBD07-4242-4E15-BDE0-3D0E322C6EF9.jpeg

That looks primo, nice ride.

I figure it’s good for 3-4 sets of skis. The K2s fit no problem.

View attachment 4422
View attachment 4423

I went to Home Depot and got a few nice thick doormats as a floor, or base inside mine, and then I use a few cheap Mexican blankets I bought in Tijuana a long time ago as cushioning material in between the skis and bindings. Its worked for years. Just wash those blankets every now and then. Kinda funky after a while.

That top picture should be a lesson to all considering owning a box. Make sure the hatchback opens without hitting it.

Oh, and another thing, which is pretty important. Never grab the edge of the bottom "tub" when putting skis up there or getting them out or just to look inside. You will crack the plastic, especially as it ages. Trust me, I've learned the hard way. If that happens, epoxy and Gorilla tape do the trick.

Last edited:
I was thinking I would want to put some kind of blanket down, both for padding and noise mitigation. I have to say the wind noise on the test drive yesterday was very manageable, almost nonexistent. I think I’m gonna be very happy with it.

You're lucky with the wind noise. I had to buy the little fairing for my new rack to eliminate that. The square bars can be pretty noisy.

IMG_6070508.JPG

I have the basically the same car. With my box on I get 2-5 MPG less. 2 MPG if there is very little or no head wind, 5 MPG less if there is a strong head wind.

I use towels for lining my box and wrapping the skiis. They are easy to deal with and are used to wipe down the skis.
Also, love Ted's Fish Fry!
20171207_185100.jpg

Back