Ski Rack, Cargo Box, Truck Bed or Inside?

The sportrack box is going strong. I mounted the load bars on the new van a little farther apart in order to hold my kayaks better, leading to two new holes getting drilled in the box but I am happy. I remembered to check the tailgate

E25BAB68-A0E2-4814-9B4F-605CA60BA3CA.jpeg

Does your rig have the ability to change how high the tailgate lift up? Some can do that.
If it does, I don’t know about it. That would be helpful when I have kayaks up there. I guess I’ll have to read the manual

Yup I wouldn't even consider putting my skis on top in a rack. Box only for me. My Yakima box on my CRV doesn’t make a difference in MPG that I've noticed.

Plus it's way better to not have skis and poles dinging up the interior.
Unless I have a car full of passengers, I always put the skis in the car. I have a couple of double ski bags that keep the skis/poles from rattling around the interior. Some of the Audis I have owned had built in ski bags, but I do not know if Audi still has that option. When there is a car full of passengers or a longer road trip, I put the box on.

I'd be surprised if a roof box didn't cost you 10%. What year CRV do you have, what do you cruise at on the highway and what mileage do you get? I found the digital mpg calculator to be super accurate.
I have an Alltrack, not a CRV, and I usually cruise between 70 and 74. Someday I'll have to track it if I ever fully take the crossbars off but the fuel economy tracker usually is somewhere just under 30. Advertised highway for my car is 30, but most people get a little bit more then that when everything is stock. And yes, 30 isn't all that great for a small wagon but they put a bit of fun in the motor and DSG transmission. We hardly drive unless going on trips.

I have an Alltrack, not a CRV, and I usually cruise between 70 and 74. Someday I'll have to track it if I ever fully take the crossbars off but the fuel economy tracker usually is somewhere just under 30. Advertised highway for my car is 30, but most people get a little bit more then that when everything is stock. And yes, 30 isn't all that great for a small wagon but they put a bit of fun in the motor and DSG transmission. We hardly drive unless going on trips.
The Thule box has cost me 3 - 5 mpg, hand calculated, on every car I've owned. Recently replaced my dieselgate Jetta with a 2019 Alltrack. Hand calculated, I've gotten 32-33 highway if I drive 70, really disciplined.

box has cost me 3 - 5 mpg

This matches what I have seen with the three CRVs I put boxes on. I do agree it's better than a rack, which I found makes a lot of noise, if it's not a super aero version.

Back