Ski Rack, Cargo Box, Truck Bed or Inside?

I have a subie...no rack or box..put down a seat and put the bad boys in the car...I fit 3 pair along with boot bags and 3 pp including trhe driver..

Problem with skis in the car is introducing moisture inside the car that creates frost INSIDE the windows in the morning. A remote starter can solve that problem. But, anyway, like I said, the box is winter long ski storage. Put them up there, don't think about it. Nice to arrive at the mountain with cold skis, too.

The Impreza is bigger than you think. Load skis diagonally with one seat down like Jason said. Your old school long boards will be a problem, but modern skis under 185 are no problemo. Then pile everything else on top. I put skis in a ski bag inside the car for long trips, keeps everything nice and organized. The box idea is also good if you don't travel light.

yep
i also bag all my skis...takes a extra min to bag and knock the snow off...
the roof box kills the gas mileage

My boards are in a bag, in a ski box. After dropping the coin to get them stoneground, that's the only way to go. If I'm day tripping somewhere, or traveling solo, they go inside the car. In a bag.

The new Thule boxes install with a twist, ratchet "system" - you can literally take the box on and off in 5 minutes. I have an old Thule box with brackets and bolts - if you put that on - you are using it for the season, very much a pain to take on and off.

I ordered a sport rack 11 cu. ft box over the weekend. It’s long enough for my longest skis and I’m hoping the narrower profile will hurt my mpg a little less. If it fits next to my kayak rack I may use it for paddles, PFDs etc... Good price too.

The new Thule boxes install with a twist, ratchet "system" - you can literally take the box on and off in 5 minutes. I have an old Thule box with brackets and bolts - if you put that on - you are using it for the season, very much a pain to take on and off.

Yeah, I think of that lately every fall when I put the thing on. Nice new feature. I'll probably need a new one soon after nearly twenty years and a few repairs, but, not yet. Besides, there's some classic stickers up there I'd have to replace.

Don't be tempted to keep that thing on the rack all year. I did that for three years when I lived with zero storage space for it, and Ihad to saw the bolts off due to rust and corrosion when I sold that car. At least loosen up the bolts and zap the stuff up there with WD40 once a year, but grease is better. Thule is pretty good for replacement parts and locks on their site.

Back