Random NYSkiBlog Stuff That You Might Not Care About

Brownski and I have duked it out over how to organize the sections and also over WHERE to put Catamount. He says putting Cat Downstate ain't right. We could change Downstate to Hudson Valley and maybe include Maple.

IMO The rest of the sections don't change (Adk Cats Tug Central and Western) except as possibly discussed above.

Anyway. What do you think about Catamount. Do they go in the Catskills? Other ideas, create a Capital District or rename Downstate, to HV.
For me, Catskills implies on the west side of the Hudson. Hudson Valley makes more sense for Catamount. I was recently in the Berkshires and stopped by Catamount to see what was going on. Definitely felt different than visiting Hunter or Windham during the off season.

Nabble gave me heads up and then deleted our forum archives in just a few days. Kind of a hose to be honest.

I called my guy and asked if we could back up what is there, quickly. He says he got it but I haven't seen it yet.

If it's gone I guess it's gone. It is 6 GB and there is some cost to host it.

I'd like to have it even if no one else ever looks at it.

But I am curious, has anyone ever looked back at the archives?

I called my guy and asked if we could back up what is there, quickly. He says he got it but I haven't seen it yet.
He just texted me, and everything is back up.

Essentially the archives have NO forum functionality, they are just HTML pages. Which is actually kind of good.

Every part of this site is now hosted by me. I like that.

BYE BYE NABBLE FOREVER!

He just texted me, and everything is back up. Essentially the archives have NO forum functionality, they are just HTML pages. Which is actually kind of good. Every part of this site is now hosted by me. I like that.
I just looked at a couple of my TRs on the old forum. Everything looks fine -- so all that content is yours and you don't pay anything to have it hosted?

It looks like I will have to pay. The old forum is 6GB. The entire rest of the site, including the new forum is another 6GB.

My man wants me to pay.

In our directory of NY Ski Areas:

We have these sections that made sense to me when I did it. I knew it wasn't perfect:

Adirondacks
Catskills
Tug Hill
Downstate NY
Central NY
Western NY

Brownski and I have duked it out over how to organize the sections and also over WHERE to put Catamount. He says putting Cat Downstate ain't right. We could change Downstate to Hudson Valley and maybe include Maple.

IMO The rest of the sections don't change (Adk Cats Tug Central and Western) except as possibly discussed above.

Anyway. What do you think about Catamount. Do they go in the Catskills? Other ideas, create a Capital District or rename Downstate, to HV.
Catamount is in berkshire hill range
I think Hudson Valley would work

Nabble gave me heads up and then deleted our forum archives in just a few days. Kind of a hose to be honest.

If it's gone I guess it's gone. It is 6 GB and there is some cost to host it.

I'd like to have it even if no one else ever looks at it.

But I am curious, has anyone ever looked back at the archives?

Yup. In ski season mainly.

He just texted me, and everything is back up.

Essentially the archives have NO forum functionality, they are just HTML pages. Which is actually kind of good.

Every part of this site is now hosted by me. I like that.

BYE BYE NABBLE FOREVER!
Is the fact u tubes are unavailable now have anything to do with this?

Music thread is unavailable linkages. Hopefully fixable.

None of the functionality works. If you notice nothing even has a date.

At this point there is no way to fix it, Nabble deleted me.

The reason this was never addressed is because the cost would have been many many thousands of dollars. When you hitch your wagon to a second (third, fourth, fifth) rate product this is what you get. In June of 2010, my main goal was getting something free. If I had gone with Vbulletin or one of the recognized brands this all would have been much simpler. But there would be ongoing cost over those 10 years.

It was always my assumption that few would pay to join a forum.

This new software is definitely costing me, but the advertising setup is much better and I think I am recovering the increase in cost with ad revenue.

As I mentioned upthread, I have been getting hosting for cheap from a business associate, but he wants to start charging me real money now. Bringing over the archive (6GB) got him back on that topic.

Back