Random NYSkiBlog Stuff That You Might Not Care About

Gore called it 10 inches and that seems reasonable to me. It was very nice snow, it got denser as the day went on. At one point we were getting graupel. The skiing was good! I was surprised at how well the new snow bonded with the coral below. I never went above the North Chair.

One unfortunate thing, at opening @Duck and I were on the second chair (AE2) and a guy asked if he could ride with us. I guess he was looking for an opportunity, he spent the 10 min ride telling me that NYSB was bad for Gore. He made it clear that people like me "from NYC" were really at the root of many of Gore's problems.

I have made my share of mistakes, and I made some today. Still, in all my years of skiing and writing about Gore I'd never had a negative exchange with a stranger on a lift. I tried not to take it too seriously but it was a harsh start to a great snowy day.
Many of Gore's problems? I don't see too many problems on my end. NYSB is a great asset to Gore. Brings a lot of like minded skiers together, people who care about the mountains and the sport. It brings quality information to the very people you want to see at your home mountain. I made Gore my home this year, come in most weekends from downstate with my wife and 2 kids. I love sharing my stories and information with everyone here and hearing about everyone else's stories from the day.

BTW today was very enjoyable. No Gondy line when we got to the base around 8:30, Uncas was very nice, then we caught Straight brook quad just as it was first loading for the day and got some fresh tracks on Hawkeye. By the time we got back up and onto Chatiemac things were already getting dicey with dust on crust and snow being pushed around. Conditions only improved as the day went on though and the last run of the day down Quicksilver was just as good as the first on Uncas. Great day and I can't wait to hit up Burnt Ridge first thing tomorrow.

Gore called it 10 inches and that seems reasonable to me. It was very nice snow, it got denser as the day went on. At one point we were getting graupel. The skiing was good! I was surprised at how well the new snow bonded with the coral below. I never went above the North Chair.

One unfortunate thing, at opening @Duck and I were on the second chair (AE2) and a guy asked if he could ride with us. I guess he was looking for an opportunity, he spent the 10 min ride telling me that NYSB was bad for Gore. He made it clear that people like me "from NYC" were really at the root of many of Gore's problems.

I have made my share of mistakes, and I made some today. Still, in all my years of skiing and writing about Gore I'd never had a negative exchange with a stranger on a lift. I tried not to take it too seriously but it was a harsh start to a great snowy day.
It may be too painful for you to relive but I’m actually interested to hear the dude’s argument.

It wasn't easy for me to follow. He seemed to be saying that my writing was driving skiers to visit Gore, and he didn't like it. That's my best guess.

He also seemed to be blaming "people like me" for some recent rescues in the high peaks. (He said he'd helped with those rescues.) It sounded like another blogger or website had written about the high peaks, and it encouraged people who were unprepared, to venture out.

Just to hear the answer, I asked him if there was anyway I could modify my approach that would satisfy him. Or, did it require that I quit writing all together? No response.

Maybe I should dial it back.

It may be too painful for you to relive but I’m actually interested to hear the dude’s argument.
Come on random guy! Be man enough to post on here!

Honestly, I think the more people at every big ski resort*, the better. They got money, and that leads to better gear, more cool events, etc. If enough people ski Gore, maybe we can get an amendment to the constitution to score an expansion to Pete gay mountain.

*stay away from Plattekill

So some guy you didn’t know actually knew who you were when he asked to ride with you, or did you introduce yourself and your association with NYSB and then he went off on you? Weird, either way

So some guy you didn’t know actually knew who you were when he asked to ride with you, or did you introduce yourself and your association with NYSB and then he went off on you? Weird, either way
Harvey has a huge NYSB graphic on his skis.

Harvey has a huge NYSB graphic on his skis.
Looks nice this morning.
1645876932137.png

Last edited:
Shouldn't we be encouraging more people to the mountains? To enjoy the outdoors and experience to joy we all get to experience being out here? Safely and responsibly of course, which NYSB does at every turn in my opinion. As much as I love skiing a quiet and empty mountain with fresh lines and secret stashes I also want to see North Creek and Gore thrive.

I'd be disingenuous to pretend I have some big plan for this site. Sure I hope it's a positive thing, but I that wasn't originally in my thinking. I started out doing what I enjoyed and you guys just showed up.

As far as the kitchen is concerned, the point of the skis is to interact. I'm not bummed the guy figured out who I was, it just caught me off guard. It was probably something I needed to hear, even if the delivery was a bit rude.

Back