Post Your Camp Pics

“Too many” is the wrong way to look at it. That’s the modern grocery store domesticated version of reality where we expect everything to conform to averages, means and static models. Nature is all boom and bust. Everything is changing all the time. Left to itself, nature would let the predator population grow to the point where the deer herd gets decimated, then the predators starve, the deer come back etc etc etc. It’s too brutal and ugly for modern humans to wrap their heads around- plus when we’re the apex predators we’re totally capable of throwing the whole system out of whack so we impose rules on ourselves. It’s totally up to us what “too many” deer means.

Also, there were deer, Turkey, elk, bison, cougars, wolves & moose here before the Euros showed up. All kinds of shit- more than what we have now.

Sounds like it’s time to build a treehouse at your ADK property. I’m in but Camp should come up to tell us where to put it.

How far from a dwelling do you have to be to safely hunt?

It is illegal to discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow:
  • so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
  • within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a bow) of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
  • within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a bow) of a dwelling, farm building, or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
  • You may hunt waterfowl with a firearm or bow, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet (for a firearm) or 150 feet (for a bow) in the direction you are shooting.

Are there bow hunters around?

Are there bow hunters around?

Former… Ripitz triggered a funny memory regarding discharge of a bow . My first home was a POS that when I purchased was intended to be temporary as the lot was a good size. I had plans to build a new house on the front of the lot and turn the old house into a garage.

Shortly after moving in I discovered a brand new hole next to my front door. After examining the hole I found the home was not on a concrete foundation. So I’m thinking damn a rat . After setting a trap and after dark I distinctly heard a snap! Awesome I got said varmint , I walked outside to discover that the trap was gone?

I heard banging under the floor and the odor of a skunk.

Yes, too many deer. The key is to own your home. The regulations are easier, then. You can pretty much shoot of your bedroom wearing your jammies.

Lmk if you need someone to help out.

Former brother-in-law used to hunt deer with a bow. My best friend got deer with a black powder shotgun he built. I think my grandfather just used a rifle.

To many dear in populated areas. They are eating all the sappling in many parks in NY. The forests are never going to regenerate unless the population is taken down. And the ticks.

Back