Post Your Camp Pics

Are there too many deer now today? What would a science person say about that? I'm sure ot varies by region.
In the burbs there are.
When The Europeans arrived in North America were their deer here?
Yup
Who were the deers predators cats knines who?
Yup and people.
I guess if those predators were also a threat to man or maybe man's food supply. They were hunted away and now the predator job is ours? Is that right?
Coyotes eat a lot of deer now.
How far from a dwelling do you have to be to safely hunt?
See:https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html
In NYS, It is illegal to discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow:
  • so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
  • within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a bow) of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
  • within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a bow) of a dwelling, farm building, or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
  • You may hunt waterfowl with a firearm or bow, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet (for a firearm) or 150 feet (for a bow) in the direction you are shooting.

From a hunters perspective I'll say that the deer herd, imo, has remained level. Why I say that is, our crew has taken, within 2-3 deer, the same amount of deer each year. That said, I do know that metro areas are becoming overrun with deer. Ithaca NY is an excellent example of this. They have special deer season there (restrictions) to try and control the population. I've read where DEC feels it's working.

DEC has a tough job. Hunting is a dying sport, so with less hunters, and an increase of predators, it's challenging for them to control the herd. That's why we will take out every yote we EVER see in the woods.

It's not only deer, but turkey, too. Here in CNY, in the late 80's into the 90's, we hard world class turkey hunting. I don't haqve any scientific evidence to back up my thoughts, but, here it goes any_A_ways. The farming industry has changed. Now that farmers have gone to spreading liquid manure vs manure, the turkey shave less food. That, along with the improvement of haying (they cut it so close to the ground now, as well as more often), has really taken it's toll on the turkey population here in CNY. Years ago, it was very common to see literally 100's of birds in the fields throughout our valleys. Now, if you see 20-30 it's considered massive. Toss in the predators, and there you have it. Turkeys are the ones really paying the price. Those damn fisher cats really get after them.

Anyone interested in deer, deer hunting, deer movement, deer herd management, should really sign up and follow this blog. It's Penn State Deer - Forest, and it's incredibly informative.

It's not only deer, but turkey, too. Here in CNY, in the late 80's into the 90's, we hard world class turkey hunting. I don't haqve any scientific evidence to back up my thoughts, but, here it goes any_A_ways. The farming industry has changed. Now that farmers have gone to spreading liquid manure vs manure, the turkey shave less food. That, along with the improvement of haying (they cut it so close to the ground now, as well as more often), has really taken it's toll on the turkey population here in CNY.
And the hedgerows taken out to allow for easier farming the bigger fields.
Hedgerows make good hiding places for wildlife.

There is a fuçkton of snow here, and it seems my shovel was relocated by some hardworking carpenters.

Luckily I was able to find it, inside of a nearby garage.

1000004486.jpg

By going with old english fuçkton I can side step the censors!

Are there bow hunters around?
My former brother-in-law was a bow hunter. Close friend who formerly hunted with firearms owns multiple bows. He's into target shooting.

Back