Poll: What changes would you like to see at your home mountain?

What changes would you like to see at your home mountain?

• More skier visits

• Less skier visits

• Skier visits stay about the same

• Day ticket prices rise

• Day ticket prices fall

• Day ticket prices stay about the same

• Join a mega-pass (Epic or Ikon)

• Withdraw or refrain from a mega-pass (Epic or Ikon)

• Join a "frequency product" like Indy

• Withdraw from a "frequency product" like Indy

• Install high speed lifts everywhere

• Install high speed lifts from the main/base lifts, fixed grip up top

• No additional high speed lifts, maintain current lifts aggressively

• Inclusive (higher) ticket prices to cover ancillaries: parking, bag check, first tracks etc

• Unbundled pricing with separate fees to cover parking, bag check, first tracks etc

• Slopeside lodging added or expanded

• Slopeside lodging prohibited or removed

• Uphill traffic allowed or expanded (modest fee)

• Uphill traffic prohibited or reduced

• Addition of snowshoeing and/or nordic sports

• Other changes not included in poll (please detail below)

• No changes, I like my mountain the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
For Royal, the number of skiers is good, but I'd be interested to see what might happen as an Indy Pass partner. It's not big name mountain, obviously, so it probably wouldn't overwhelm the place with new skiers. No new lifts are needed, definitely no need for high speed. However, seeing how much people like the Bunny Runner already on the practice slope, I wonder if one of those could be an option for the future within the main terrain park. I don't see any need or demand for slopeside lodging. I feel like Jim Blaise for his many years and now the Tennis family know what Royal is and what it isn't, and make decisions accordingly.

Some things that are not in the poll:
- Night skiing: I don't know how much business it would pull in to have lights on say, Queen and Royal plus the necessary lift/lodge connections, and be open some weeknights. The main downside I see from a skier perspective would be the loss of "snow on Tuesday, powder day on Saturday".
- Grooming: I'd like to see Challenge left ungroomed more often.
- Snowmaking: it's really great now, and there's not much to expand. In a way it's a bit disappointing to have snow being made on Captain Jack's, but I would rather have that than not be able to ski it when it doesn't snow.
- Tree skiing: it's already extensive, with the main improvement I'd like to see is a little more aggressive cleaning up of brush and fallen trees and limbs.
- Terrain expansion: I've heard rumors that it's possible to cut a trail or at least thin out the trees enough to create a connection straight ahead from the top of B lift (the slightly higher of the two main lifts) to swing around to open up better access to Glasgow, the huge skiable wooded area off to the skiers left of Knight. One of the great things about Glasgow now is that you have to work a bit to get in there, but it's big enough that I don't see it being hard to find fresh tracks even with some easier access.

For Whiteface, I cast my vote for:

Other changes not included in poll​

Improve Reliability​

was one of the poll options, that's what I would have selected. I'd just like for things to work better.

As we all know, weather over the past several years has been a challenge. When the weather cooperates, and snowmaking is possible, the system needs to work. All too often, something goes wrong. A break in a pipe ... a pump failure ... an electrical problem ... and on and on and on. ORDA has done a great job in recent years upgrading the system and expanding capacity, and that's all great, but at the end of the day, if it doesn't work when you need it, it's all a waste of time & money.

The lifts need to work, especially during crowded holiday periods. Whiteface can accommodate the number of skiers it typically gets, even on the busiest days, fairly well, IF the lifts are operating. Again, all too often, there's some kind of a problem with either the Little Whiteface chair or the summit quad, and I'm not talking about wind holds. Instead of adding new lifts that will get little or no use, it would be nice to see something done, whether it's permanent repairs that actually work or replacement of these two key lifts ... whatever it takes to make them more reliable. Just get me back up the hill when I get to the bottom!

In my opinion, the reliability issues make Whiteface a good mountain instead of a great mountain!

In the Epic Pass Poll we had 76 votes.

So far on this poll we have 22. Some trends are emerging, but maybe it's just the early vote.

I hope we get 76 votes for this. At that level we'll get some insight into the collective pysche.

Right now it looks like skier visits flat, lower day tickets and invest in the lifts you have.

There are some people who haven't voted yet, maybe we'll see what they think.

Beginners are money/survival.
So powder puff, The S , then North. Then anything else that has snow making and isn't in direct sun all day

I think there's a whole separate debate about how to market the place, but I get that families and beginners spend the most money

In the Epic Pass Poll we had 76 votes.
So far on this poll we have 22. Some trends are emerging, but maybe it's just the early vote.
I hope we get 76 votes for this. At that level we'll get some insight into the collective pysche.
Right now it looks like skier visits flat, lower day tickets and invest in the lifts you have.
There are some people who haven't voted yet, maybe we'll see what they think.
There’s also insight into what don’t folks want.
  • Install high speed lifts.
  • Unbundled prices
  • Join a Mega Pass (Ikon-Epic)
What Don’t You Want? Hell or High Water. Waitress (2016)

Last edited:
Not saying I agree or disagree. Just wondering what your guess is, as to why Westway is abandoned?
It is about 300 feet wide facing west. It is impossible to cover. During a big natural snow year it is by far the best trail on the mountain and one of the best trails in the East.

It is about 300 feet wide facing west. It is impossible to cover. During a big natural snow year it is by far the best trail on the mountain and one of the best trails in the East.
Personally I prefer Purna
Both are great

Personally I prefer Purna
Both are great
I get it - Purna is also excellent - its just that my experiences on 44 are all natural snow during and after a monster storm. UnfortunateIy, I have skated down Purna many times. ;)

I get it - Purna is also excellent - its just that my experiences on 44 are all natural snow during and after a monster storm. UnfortunateIy, I have skated down Purna many times. ;)
Lol
I caught purna right after groomers finished. I still remember that run.

Back