Poll: What changes would you like to see at your home mountain?

What changes would you like to see at your home mountain?

• More skier visits

• Less skier visits

• Skier visits stay about the same

• Day ticket prices rise

• Day ticket prices fall

• Day ticket prices stay about the same

• Join a mega-pass (Epic or Ikon)

• Withdraw or refrain from a mega-pass (Epic or Ikon)

• Join a "frequency product" like Indy

• Withdraw from a "frequency product" like Indy

• Install high speed lifts everywhere

• Install high speed lifts from the main/base lifts, fixed grip up top

• No additional high speed lifts, maintain current lifts aggressively

• Inclusive (higher) ticket prices to cover ancillaries: parking, bag check, first tracks etc

• Unbundled pricing with separate fees to cover parking, bag check, first tracks etc

• Slopeside lodging added or expanded

• Slopeside lodging prohibited or removed

• Uphill traffic allowed or expanded (modest fee)

• Uphill traffic prohibited or reduced

• Addition of snowshoeing and/or nordic sports

• Other changes not included in poll (please detail below)

• No changes, I like my mountain the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So Westway is too wide, costs too much to blow and the ROI is negative million?

If true, please confirm and answer me this.

What was the original thinking? Was it ever open consistently?

Second, how hard would it be to narrow it? I mean there is zero soil there. Would a snow fence worK?
With a ski area, the sum is greater than the parts, in that you can't get the ROI of making snow on one single trail. All trails on the mountain contribute positively to the overall experience when open. In Hunter's case, they have two high speed lifts on West and North that are severely underutilized. Meanwhile the front side is always crowded.

Hunter just opened a massive expansion in 2018 but didn't do any snowmaking upgrades in conjunction with it. Now they're significantly underpowered. It's also not very efficient to send water to the west or north. To feed the west side, it all has to get pumped up and over the summit. For north, everything ties into Belt Parkway's snowmaking line.

I'm very careful not to knock Platty too much around here, or compare them to ORDA with all that state money, but they also could have started sooner. Belle had been blowing for weeks before Platty turned on the guns. NorthFace being in the shade could have survived that meltdown if it had a bigger base.

I don't think you need to be careful. I know I am passionate but don't let that slow you down. Seriously.

Plattekill has always started in December as long as I can remember (2010).

Knowing the precise best moment to start every year is impossible.

Just consider one thing. The guy turning on the guns at ORDA, isn't spending his own money. Imagine you and your wife were deciding when to turn on the juice on a six figure spend that will last 6 or 8 weeks.

I say that as a guy who BENEFITS 100% from the way ORDA rolls.

I just see Laz's POV, and I always remember that all the other small family-run mountains in the Cats are gone.

With a ski area, the sum is greater than the parts, in that you can't get the ROI of making snow on one single trail.

Not saying I agree or disagree. Just wondering what your guess is, as to why Westway is abandoned?

Lab-Song
✅More cold snap weather and snow. Enough to run Ptarmigan again and/or Diamond Cutter.
✅Where’d they put that dang lake effect too? Just need some cold moderate NW winds.
I ain’t asking for too much & am not worried about EPIC or IKON taking over "the monopoly" any time soon.
How about a bone from NYS for energy&cost efficient $nowmaking too?
Letitsnow ❄️ ❄️.
I am going to steal Tirolski's list for GP, and swap Ptarmigan and Diamond Cutter for chair 5.

Also if Platty had amazing snow making would it be more crowded? Maybe. So careful what I wish for

Let me change my response to I wish they prioritized blowing the double sooner. It's the reason I buy the pass and it holds snow better. Face just sizzles on a sunny day.

Regarding Plattekill an excellent example of incremental improvements resulting in permanent positive performance.

Now to bring a chainsaw to the bbq... Double the price for all non locals and I'm not local but I would pay. Its the cool kids table on a powder day but otherwise I imagine they struggle. We need small hills with great kids programs and such if this sport is ever to survive.

Back