Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Four years old:

This idea of an affordable season pass across several mountains seemed ludicrous at first, but Vail saw the big picture; they realized that lift tickets are only a piece of the pie. With each new acquisition, Vail increases its number of season pass holders and in turn increases the number of visits to their resorts. When these people arrive at the airport they are being picked up in a Vail owned shuttle, staying at a Vail owned hotel, eating at a Vail owned restaurant, and skiing on rental equipment from you guessed it- a Vail owned rental shop. Vail has vertically integrated their resorts in such a way to capture every single dollar that guests spend over the course of their vacation. And while their customers may be saving money on lift tickets, they are paying for it big time in other areas.

Four years old:

Nope.

First of all, as you pointed out, this is four years old, which, I'm pretty sure is pre Peaks purchase and the crude, blundering entry into the northeast after Stowe. Then, well, Covid, which is neither here or there, for now. Everybody got Covid. But, the Peaks purchase just proves that Vail isn't as calculating or well managed as the writer assumed, living in his nice little bubble in, ahem, Vail, and thinking that only young people can use Kayak on their phones when dreaming of that Whistler or Bali trip. Wtf? Such a hard life. But, anyway, he assumes that the Epic pass holder will be almost held captive when traveling to a Vail resort, just because they bought the pass. Maybe Vail. I've always said that's the reason so many tourists like that place, and locals, (not living in Vail village) hate it. It's sort of all inclusive and easy, airport landing to airport departure. Beaver, too, which is the same place, essentially. I sort of did it once way back, and it was nice. But, where else are they selling this service? Whistler, probably, but Breck is easy to do on your own, without buying everything from Vail. What have they done in the northeast? They dont even own anything outside of ski operations at Stowe. They were so desperate just to own a premier ski hill in Vermont just to pad this corporate ponzi they just bought the hard stuff to make money from, not the luxury items. Furgetabout a place like Hunter. Is Mt. Snow any different? Nope.

No, these people arent very imaginative at all, and I propose that, unless they come up with some serious plans, it will end in tears for them. They're a bunch of marketing and finance drones that are living off of really cheap money, like all of corporate America, and paying themselves well in the process. That's not to say I'm anti corporate ski companies and anti multi mountain pass. I've owned the passes for about twenty years (way back in 2002-3 I was skiing a very early incarnation of Epic in Summit, along with a Copper/WP combo pass. 600 bucks for a ton of skiing). I just think that Alterra has smarter and more engaged people running the show right now, and they seem to have a plan for what the future will be in 2030. Listen to Stuart Winchester's podcast interview of Rob Perlman, president of Steamboat and COO of one of their region's in the Rockies, and then listen to Stuart's interview of Tim Baker, the eastern region VP of Vail resorts. The difference is obvious. Perlman has a detailed five year plan for Steamboat, which, not my cup of tea, but, if you know the place, makes total sense for what is their primary customer. Baker really has nothing, not that I blame him, but, if you plop all of these small hills in somebody's lap, as disparate as Hunter to Mt. Snow to Wildcat, yeah, that's going to be hard to integrate, especially if you haven't even skied most of them, like he admitted. But, probably a good gig and pays well, if he keeps his head down.

Conditions look sick at Hunter! Vail is gonna crush it during this Christmas holiday!

A694FAD8-5153-4E87-ACB1-461B0D02704F.jpeg

Hunter’s webcam has yet to be online this season.
Just some strange test pattern with the words “sorry for the inconvenience”.
Can Wail Resort'’s IT director fixit? Kids stream trailcams to their phones, just sayin.

They really don't want people to see that.

Breck, I'm pretty sure, yesterday. Or maybe the day before. Whatever. This isn't even Xmas week. What the hell.
Looking at the bright side, if that mountain and the whole ski industry isn't shut down by the end of January, we're cool. This is a test. Beep, beep, beep.

tapatalk_-566422812.jpeg

Breck, I'm pretty sure, yesterday. Or maybe the day before. Whatever. This isn't even Xmas week. What the hell.
Looking at the bright side, if that mountain and the whole ski industry isn't shut down by the end of January, we're cool. This is a test. Beep, beep, beep.
I dont think we see a shut down unless we start seeing a lot of death in the vaccinated portion of the population.

Even if covid didn't exist it seems Vail has seriously damaged the entire ski experience.
Oh 100%!! they are also crushing the infrastructure of the towns and we are definitely going to start hearing about "Ambulance/Fire truck could not get to scene due to traffic on mountain road"

Vail Corp has their heads in the sand right now, they are seeing profit and a solid year end bonus in their bank account, everything else doesnt matter.

With any asset you can continue to invest in it, or take dividends.

Back