ORDA Funding

I'm all for a new trail parallel to Echo. Echo is the only way back to the main base from Burnt Ridge/Ski Bowl without taking Hedges and the North Quad then skiing back to the base. I understand racing brings money to the mountain but letting the racers take over Echo every weekend is stupid. The only other trail on Burnt Ridge is Sagamore. It's kind of crazy to have a high speed quad for one trail.

I'm all for a new trail parallel to Echo. Echo is the only way back to the main base from Burnt Ridge/Ski Bowl without taking Hedges and the North Quad then skiing back to the base. I understand racing brings money to the mountain but letting the racers take over Echo every weekend is stupid. The only other trail on Burnt Ridge is Sagamore. It's kind of crazy to have a high speed quad for one trail.
According to the May 2018 amendment to the UMP, the new trail parallel to Echo goes thorugh Echo glade. IT still has to cross Echo to get back to the base, so that route to the base won't be skiable on training and race days. Another trail goes though Barkeater glade to the Ski Bowl. That really means the both Abanaki and Barkester will be unavailable because, with an easy route to Ski Bowl, there's no reason to keep Pipeline open. The amendment also has other unnecessary abominations,like widening the North side trails and eliminating all the trees from Wood Lot. (Is it still a wood lot if it has no trees?) ORDA is trying to compete with Okemo by eliminating everything that makes Gore unique.

mm

According to the May 2018 amendment to the UMP, the new trail parallel to Echo goes thorugh Echo glade. IT still has to cross Echo to get back to the base, so that route to the base won't be skiable on training and race days. Another trail goes though Barkeater glade to the Ski Bowl. That really means the both Abanaki and Barkester will be unavailable because, with an easy route to Ski Bowl, there's no reason to keep Pipeline open. The amendment also has other unnecessary abominations,like widening the North side trails and eliminating all the trees from Wood Lot. (Is it still a wood lot if it has no trees?) ORDA is trying to compete with Okemo by eliminating everything that makes Gore unique.

mm
Barkeater is BY FAR the best glade on that side of the Burnt Ridge area. Dumb to cut a trail directly through it. Sacrificing Abenaki should suffice...

Barkeater is BY FAR the best glade
Better than Cirque too IMO.

The changes will be not ideal for this crowd, but I'm optimistic it will be better than you might think.

The changes will be not ideal for this crowd, but I'm optimistic it will be better than you might think.
I'm sure there's the possibility for a glade right next to it... OR a trail along the glade?

There's no reason for optimism if you read the UMP amendment: https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/gore2018ump1.pdf
Look at the map on page 9. In additon to Barkeater, there are approved trails through Cirque, Straightbrook, Tahawus and Ski Bowl glades. Also, does anyone believe Pipeline above Barkeater will be maintained just as a an exit from Abenaki? There is also an approved trail that crosses Boreas. If they ever complete the plan we won't recognize the place.

mm

Maybe optimistic is the wrong word. Optimistic it won't be terrible? Is that a thing?

Often the UMP is a rough idea and the final execution doesn't match. What was described to me was different than the UMP drawing.

I'm not out there with what I know yet, because I want to see it first. I've been promised a walk through the flagged route when the snow melts. I'll post, maybe on the front page.

It's possible that I'm just getting the next step, and all that other stuff will eventually happen. (Ugh.)

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.45.09 PM.png

ETA: Barkeater and Abenaki run closer than the diagram shows.

The start and end(?) may be accurate but in the middle, the two glades touch.

Last edited:
Back