Most Underrated Ski Towns

SUVs and lifted pickups flying through town at 55 mph doesn't make for a great main street. If anything all pedestrian plazas are a huge draw. See Burlington, 16th street mall, Pearl St, Cape May, Ithaca etc. It's probably not feasible but it would be amazing if NC could do that someday. I wish my own town of Maplewood would consider it.
Kind of like Lake George... pedestrian plazas are hit or miss, alot of them choked off businesses that want to be on a "real"
street and have been re-opened to traffic.

Kind of like Lake George... pedestrian plazas are hit or miss, alot of them choked off businesses that want to be on a "real"
street and have been re-opened to traffic.
The merchants in North Creek would love to see the kind of traffic Lake George village gets. But really it would have been more like Windham or Hunter or Indian Lake, where all the through traffic has to slow down but there's enough local traffic to support business without aggravating anyone too much. Putting 28 around the town was an own goal for North Creek.

mm

Hunter is okay, but it's still pretty car dependent. Woodstock (culture aside) is a much better model in terms of walkable density while still having through traffic. Tannersville is nice too.

You mention "walkable density while still having through traffic." Doesn't that describe Maplewood's small village? (I live in South Orange).

My personal order of preference is
1. A full pedestrian only plaza as given in the example cities earlier
2. A walkable downtown with limited, slow(er) local traffic. Which Maplewood mostly is today, though still with lots of through traffic of SUVs and large trucks cutting through town - mostly from the traffic light on Prospect
3. A walkable downtown with full through traffic which South Orange largely is
4. Suburban sprawl.

If I were mayor I'd love to bring Maplewood from #2 to #1 and make at least the section from Baker Street to Inwood a full pedestrian plaza with benches, fountains, shade trees, kids play areas etc. It would only eliminate maybe 20 parking spots and all the business should still have rear access. They used to do this weekend nights during COVID with live bands and entertainment. Business never did better, and everybody found parking easily.

I brought it up to a member of our town council and she looked at me like I had 7 heads.

Happy to PM you so we don't clog up this thread.

SUVs and lifted pickups flying through town at 55 mph doesn't make for a great main street. If anything all pedestrian plazas are a huge draw. See Burlington, 16th street mall, Pearl St, Cape May, Ithaca etc. It's probably not feasible but it would be amazing if NC could do that someday. I wish my own town of Maplewood would consider it.
Summit is quite walkable; Boonton is too - at least when one lives a block off Main St. Neither has a pedestrian plaza tho.

Ski bowl improvements and connectivity will help but to me the main issue is that of pure geography, most of the suburus full of cash are coming from the south. If town were a 1/4 mile south of peaceful valley I think things would look a lot different. Even if there was a connection to town at peaceful valley (south/west) it would help but that would be no easy task.

Back