Most Underrated Ski Towns

We visited these 3 towns in the summer and they all could qualify as ski towns. Mission Ridge is pretty huge and we all know about Stevens. Loup Loup is on the small side.
Wenatchee, WA - about 13 miles - Mission Ridge Ski Area
Leavenworth, WA - about 35 miles - Stevens Pass
Winthrop, WA - about 23 miles - Loup Loup Ski Area plus a ton of touring areas

We have not visited these towns.
Pocatello, ID -about 20 miles - Pebble Creek ski area
Glenwood Springs, Co- about 12 miles - Sunlight ski area

We visited these 3 towns in the summer and they all could qualify as ski towns. Mission Ridge is pretty huge and we all know about Stevens. Loup Loup is on the small side.
Wenatchee, WA - about 13 miles - Mission Ridge Ski Area
Leavenworth, WA - about 35 miles - Stevens Pass
Winthrop, WA - about 23 miles - Loup Loup Ski Area plus a ton of touring areas

We have not visited these towns.
Pocatello, ID -about 20 miles - Pebble Creek ski area
Glenwood Springs, Co- about 12 miles - Sunlight ski area
Grand Junction is another worthy mention and is probably only 20-30 minutes from Powderhorn and is in the western slope desert. The winter is a lot more mild than up in the mountains but it’s close enough to em.

Grand Junction is another worthy mention and is probably only 20-30 minutes from Powderhorn and is in the western slope desert. The winter is a lot more mild than up in the mountains but it’s close enough to em.
Not sure how I'd feel about living in Grand Junction year-round but lots of outdoors options. In addition to Powderhorn, it's a little under two hours to Sunlight and the Aspen group. Top-shelf mountain biking too, which I'm sure RA has sampled.

Whatabout Ellicotville?
Two places to ski. Walk to Holiday Valley and/or Holimont.
A short jaunt to Salamanca and the Rez.
Lake effects in abundance.
The fishing is good in the lakes.
Wineries, breweries, & lots of fresh fruits & veggies nearby to boot.
A$pen of The East...In The UpState.

Last edited:
Great xc skiing in the Methow Valley.

I was looking at Salmon, Idaho, near Lost Trail ski area the other day. Middle of nowhere, but it has one of those in-town whitewater park thingies. Probably a good one for a fisherman/paddler.
Lots of hot springs in that area to discover. Goldbug is a must.

My favorite comment I have read about Grand Junction is that it's a place where truckers and ranchers breed.

Whatabout Ellicotville?
Two places to ski. Walk to Holiday Valley and/or Holimont.
A short jaunt to Salamanca and the Rez.
Lake effects in abundance.
The fishing is good in the lakes.
Wineries, breweries, & lots of fresh fruits & veggies nearby to boot.
A$pen of The East...In The UpState.
EVL has to be absolutely one of the best apres ski towns in the US. Even in the off season that little town rocks.

Back