Most Underrated Ski Towns

I've had many great days at HV and Holimont where I learned vert isn't everything. I'd rather ski 700 at HV than 1200 at Bristol any day.

If apes partying is also important then Ellicottville has got to one of the best.
The title of the thread is "Underrated Ski Towns". Ellicotville is a known apres party spot because Holiday has been overrated for years on best Eastern ski areas lists. The only reason the ski area is even on these top East lists is because so many people ski at Holiday, not because the skiing is any good.

I understand we take the hand we are dealt, but nobody is driving to Ellicotville and Holiday/Holimont if they can drive to real vertical in the same amount of time unless you like partying more than skiing. Ellicotville and Holiday/Holimont are the only game for a vast population area and are very popular because of that, but lets not confuse popularity and ease of access with quality skiing.

savage , but the sometimes the truth
I am Troy NY born person who had to move to metro Detroit in 1984 and for me Holiday Valley and the town of Ellicottville is a treat for me for a 5 hour drive. I feel it skis bigger than the vertical. They make the best of what they have. No it doesn’t compare to the bigger places farther east for terrain, but they do a great job with what they have to work with and if you put Ellicottville in place of North Creek it would be right up there

I've had many great days at HV and Holimont where I learned vert isn't everything. I'd rather ski 700 at HV than 1200 at Bristol any day.

If apres partying is also important then Ellicottville has got to be one of the best.

Though many already know that, giving HV the busiest mountain in the state, so I'm not sure it's "underrated."
Well with 400 to 500 vertical foot runs I’m definitely going to be about the drinking thing……

As long as you can deal with a 700' hill and you can ski during the week you will have two places to ski and afterwards there are plenty of places to get a bite to eat and a drink. I love how when you are on Main St looking towards the west it looks like the trails from Holimount go right into people's back yards
At the moment, I'm

Back