Most Underrated Ski Towns

Are there any cool little mountain towns out west that don’t have a ski area and, thus, un-exploited? Or maybe with a closed ski area that has good potential?
Oak Creek Colorado has the closed Stagecoach ski area right there. I don't know if it's legal to ski there though.

If you had a snowmobile and touring gear Ely in Nevada would be really cool.

I bet June Lake in California would be super chill. They have lifts but I don't think the place see's much traffic.

Cool pix.
Thanks Benny.

I should actually say that the ski area looks plenty of fun. One side has really mellow family terrain but accesses some really awesome looking ski touring and the other has about 1500 vets of steep but not ridiculously steep consistent pitch that's perfect for farming powder turns on. I even saw some nice little rock drops and features that looked pretty fun. It would be plenty good for most skiing retirees to go hang out at to ski a lot of stress free powder.

The location is perfect to continue being overlooked by the masses. It's about 45 minutes north of Brianhead which gets the majority of the Vegas ski visitors and traffic and it's too far south of SLC. Everyone that flys into SLC for skiing isn't driving this far when the Canyons and PC are right there. It ain't no Snowbird but that's sort of what makes it special and the fresh snow skiing top notch.

Are there any cool little mountain towns out west that don’t have a ski area and, thus, un-exploited? Or maybe with a closed ski area that has good potential?
I was looking at Salmon, Idaho, near Lost Trail ski area the other day. Middle of nowhere, but it has one of those in-town whitewater park thingies. Probably a good one for a fisherman/paddler.

Red Lodge, MT is another one in the middle of nowhere. More of a sled-accessed ski town (actually, it looks like more of a sledneck town), but every summer, Beartooth opens, making it a spring/summer ski town.

My completely out of the box pick is Northport, Washington. Near no ski area in the US, but only 20 minutes from Red Mountain, BC and the cool town of Rossland.

(I have never been to any of these places, so I need to do further research).

Nelson bc

Magog, Quebec

g-quebec-canada-175839656-5902229c3df78c54569b2f8c.webp

I should actually say that the ski area looks plenty of fun. One side has really mellow family terrain but accesses some really awesome looking ski touring and the other has about 1500 vets of steep but not ridiculously steep consistent pitch that's perfect for farming powder turns on. I even saw some nice little rock drops and features that looked pretty fun. It would be plenty good for most skiing retirees to go hang out at to ski a lot of stress free powder.

The location is perfect to continue being overlooked by the masses. It's about 45 minutes north of Brianhead which gets the majority of the Vegas ski visitors and traffic and it's too far south of SLC. Everyone that flys into SLC for skiing isn't driving this far when the Canyons and PC are right there. It ain't no Snowbird but that's sort of what makes it special and the fresh snow skiing top notch.
Beaver City FTW.
Ya can rent the hole place for $15K.
It seems more fun than some of the other joints.

Last edited:
Back