Most Underrated Ski Towns

Not for pleasure. Actually, doctor's orders to stay away from them after I had half a meniscus removed from the right knee. But took two ski weeks at Taos that concentrated on ways to ski them in a healthy way. Great school.

I'd like to hear more about that. Can you tell about what you learned?

At 80-something, him enjoying skiing with no interest it bumps seems wise.
Yes, but the man I met started skiing Taos a few decades ago. I was a bit surprised he never had any interest in trying a Taos Ski Week.

The instructor I've been working with the last couple seasons is pushing 80. What I've been learning from him, along with a few friends who are also mid-60s, is how to ski bumps "3 miles per hour" in a manner that's about flowing down that works on bump terrain of varying pitch. He's been teaching at Taos for decades.

Yeah, but, they cultivate bumps there.

Still say Sante Fe is much cooler. Prettier, less mud/dust, less of that sort of intense racial edge going on, and less crime. And, a day trip to Taos Ski Valley is more than possible.
Haven't spent much time in Santa Fe but would agree that staying in Taos wouldn't be as interesting. Although a friend who used to live and work in NM is finding it a good place as a retirement winter location for improving her skiing. She didn't start skiing until later in life.

Have you ever been to Red River? I was a bit surprised it was also on the list.

Yes, but the man I met started skiing Taos a few decades ago. I was a bit surprised he never had any interest in trying a Taos Ski Week.

The instructor I've been working with the last couple seasons is pushing 80. What I've been learning from him, along with a few friends who are also mid-60s, is how to ski bumps "3 miles per hour" in a manner that's about flowing down that works on bump terrain of varying pitch.
Y'all can have at ‘em.
I’d rather try to fly under control doing big GS turns.

Haven't spent much time in Santa Fe but would agree that staying in Taos wouldn't be as interesting. Although a friend who used to live and work in NM is finding it a good place as a retirement winter location for improving her skiing. She didn't start skiing until later in life.

Have you ever been to Red River? I was a bit surprised it was also on the list.
We drove by that place many moons ago because I wanted to see what that "Enchanted Circle" was all about for future road riding. It looked pretty fun. But, now that I have a free bed in Snakedance, I'm not leaving Taos.

Well, it's complicated, but, rule number one, slow down. Actually, his first rule was HEAD UP! HE SHOUTED A LOT.
I think every Taos Ski Week instructor I've had was shouting a fair amount by Day 2. Definitely by Day 3. ;)

The cues I remember the most are "chin UP", "plant" (as in pole), and some variation about looking ahead to plan where to go next. When I was getting better about planning which bump(s) I was headed to next, the goal was then to actually visualize the route that would get to the next bump or two. I and a couple of my ski buddies who did the Private Ski Week with me in Feb 2022 and Feb 2023 are visual learners.

From the article:
In addition to downhill skiing at Gore, North Creek offers a range of other winter activities, including cross-country skiing at Garnet Hill, and ice climbing.
I am genuinely wondering where is the ice climbing in NC?

From the article:

I am genuinely wondering where is the ice climbing in NC?
All the ice climbing I have done has been in the LP region.
A life is too short to ski bumps. Crank and bank baby.

Back