Most Underrated Ski Towns

That's a fair point for sure. I like to believe that if you make fluid pedestrian/skier connectivity the town would be attractive enough to garner attention without having the Main Street flooded with through traffic. The thing I always loved about Telluride was being able to go from town to the ski area without getting in a car while wearing my ski boots.

It's an experience that doesn't really exist on the East Coast.
Stratton ski village!

Killington is working on that, too.

Taos is dumb. The ski mountain is like 22 miles or something from the town of Taos. It's two separate worlds.

After what I saw this winter, I'd actually put Sante Fe on that list. Nice little mountain, cooler town.

The ski mountain is like 22 miles or something from the town of Taos. It's two separate worlds.
Yes and no. Although it's not geographically near TSV (18 miles and change), I'd still call Taos a very good destination-trip headquarters in the winter. From there, you can reach four ski areas (TSV, Sipapu, Red River, Angel Fire) within 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Although it's not geographically near TSV (18 miles and change), I'd still call Taos a very good destination-trip headquarters in the winter. From there, you can reach four ski areas (TSV, Sipapu, Red River, Angel Fire) within 40 minutes.
Several years ago I skied a few runs with an 80-something man from the midwest. His wife had stopped skiing due to RA. But she was happy to spend a month in the town of Taos during the winter. They became skiers after age 35 (no kids) and had spent winters or part of winters in several other places after retirement (from IBM). He would wear his ski boots when riding the bus from town to TSV. Or do day trips driving to Red River or Angel Fire. Oddly enough, he had no interest in skiing bumps and only skied the Taos groomers on skinny skis.

So for them, the town was the attraction more than the mountain.

Several years ago I skied a few runs with an 80-something man from the midwest... He would wear his ski boots when riding the bus from town to TSV. Or do day trips driving to Red River or Angel Fire. Oddly enough, he had no interest in skiing bumps and only skied the Taos groomers on skinny skis.
At 80-something, him enjoying skiing with no interest it bumps seems wise.

Yeah, but, they cultivate bumps there.

Still say Sante Fe is much cooler. Prettier, less mud/dust, less of that sort of intense racial edge going on, and less crime. And, a day trip to Taos Ski Valley is more than possible.

Yeah, but, they cultivate bumps there.

Still say Sante Fe is much cooler. Prettier, less mud/dust, less of that sort of intense racial edge going on, and less crime. And, a day trip to Taos Ski Valley is more than possible.
Benny are you a bumper?

Not for pleasure. Actually, doctor's orders to stay away from them after I had half a meniscus removed from the right knee. But took two ski weeks at Taos that concentrated on ways to ski them in a healthy way. Great school.

Last edited:
Back