Most Underrated Ski Towns

One of the underrated ski towns is North Creek.
"Despite its excellent skiing opportunities, Gore Mountain is relatively unknown to most skiers."

I wonder why Gore Mountain is relatively unknown to most skiers?
There are only 30 million people who live within 4 hours from Gore.
Likely because ORDA put all their marketing $$ into shilling Whiteface. I can't tell you the number of people I talk to who know Trapp Family Lodge or Craftsbury VT, but Mt van Hoevenberg is totally not on their radar.

If Gore connected NC to the ski area bases with a gondola improving pedestrian connectivity and a real ski town feel it could change those numbers I'd bet.
They never should have built route 28 around the town. It should have gone straight down Main St the way it does in Indian Lake and Long Lake and every other town in the Adirondacks. Then they should have built a golf course and XC trails between the ski bowl and town. Traffic through town would have way more impact than a zip line.

mm

They never should have built route 28 around the town. It should have gone straight down Main St the way it does in Indian Lake and Long Lake and every other town in the Adirondacks. Then they should have built a golf course and XC trails between the ski bowl and town. Traffic through town would have way more impact than a zip line.

mm
That's a fair point for sure. I like to believe that if you make fluid pedestrian/skier connectivity the town would be attractive enough to garner attention without having the Main Street flooded with through traffic. The thing I always loved about Telluride was being able to go from town to the ski area without getting in a car while wearing my ski boots.

It's an experience that doesn't really exist on the East Coast.

Back