ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

While annual EV sales continue to grow in the U.S. market, the growth rate has slowed notably. Sales in Q1 rose 2.6% year over year, but fell 15.2% compared to Q4 2023. The increase last quarter was well below the previous two years.

Growing slowly is a lot different then "declining". And no please don't compare Q1 vs Q4 sales, Q1 sales are always lower

No matter how you want to look at it, EV future sales doesn't look bright.

I tried to get an article from Automotive News for you guys but it's paywall.

1) EV sales are not declining. Their growth rate has definitely slowed, but YoY Q1 sales are still up.
2) I agree about battery swapping, NIO is already doing it in China
3) Where does the Hydrogen come from?
If I recall from high school. Perfectly passing current through water produces h2 and o2 - so you just need water and electric I think.

It seems like two things are going on in the US:

Tesla's share is dropping as others enter the market.
Total EV demand is cooling off

Tesla is about half the total market in the US this year, down from 60% early last year.

Tesla is responding by lowering prices and laying off workforce. Those price cuts are impacting other manufacturers, they are lowering prices too. That's a textbook definition of a market response to reduced demand.

Looks like your truck, Harv

I don't know man. It's a lot of money for an extra 2 mpg - 22/24 mpg.

Just like the Tundra, Toyota used the batteries to make it more powerful vs more fuel efficient.

My wife had a Tacoma 20 years ago with a bigger bed and 25 around town, 30 mpg highway. I'd buy it now if it was available.

I don’t know. 24 mpg isn’t all that impressive for a hybrid. As I’ve said the Sienna hybrid gets 35 in the summer. They should have shrunk the Tacoma back to compact truck size and gotten the mpg higher. The Maverick is selling cause it’s little as much as anything else. I don’t get the mid size thing, especially for Toyota and Nissan since their full sizes aren’t all the big

I don’t know. 24 mpg isn’t all that impressive for a hybrid. As I’ve said the Sienna hybrid gets 35 in the summer. They should have shrunk the Tacoma back to compact truck size and gotten the mpg higher. The Maverick is selling cause it’s little as much as anything else. I don’t get the mid size thing, especially for Toyota and Nissan since their full sizes aren’t all the big

💯

Back