ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Tesla is responding by lowering prices and laying off workforce. Those price cuts are impacting other manufacturers, they are lowering prices too. That's a textbook definition of a market response to reduced demand.
Tesla is getting hit on two sides - US demand suffered cause Musk pisses off his customer base, and in China they are getting out competed by cheaper Chinese alternatives. I think the Musk factor has impacted the US EV market as a whole. As much as the NYTimes likes to point out there are other EVs for sale, none are as competitive as the 3 or Y.

EV adoption in China has been very successful, making up something like 60% of total WW sales. We just don't see all these cheaper alternatives over here (yet) due to trade restrictions.

As an EV enthusiast I don't think it's a bad thing that prices are dropping and there is more competition. Remember when flat screen TVs were like $20K 😆?

Last edited:
I’ve posted this before and will continue to do so. The American made VW Rabbit pick-up gets 35 city 43 highway 38 combined. Many people have gotten 55, 60 and Top Gear got 84 mpg with a TDI in the hatchback. This is for a vehicle that was made FORTY FUCKING YEARS AGO. LOL.

Of course it only weighed 1970 pounds and was 168 inches long. The diesel 1.6L delivered 52hp/71ft lbs tq and had a 5 spd manual. It had a payload of 1100 pounds including passengers. 0-to 60 in about 17 seconds.

Everyone needs to slow down and stop thinking that what they’re doing is important.
It is hard to slow down. And I wish I knew more about psychology but it seems we are wired to think what we do is important.

Of course it only weighed 1970 pounds and was 168 inches long. The diesel 1.6L delivered 52hp/71ft lbs tq and had a 5 spd manual. It had a payload of 1100 pounds including passengers. 0-to 60 in about 17 seconds.
😀the r3 is going to be 168 inches long.

That beats (in a bad way) my old crv time - 9.4 or something

Tesla is getting hit on two sides - US demand suffered cause Musk pisses off his customer base, and in China they are getting out competed by cheaper Chinese alternatives. I think the Musk factor has impacted the US EV market as a whole. As much as the NYTimes likes to point out there are other EVs for sale, none are as competitive as the 3 or Y.

EV adoption in China has been very successful, making up something like 60% of total WW sales. We just don't see all these cheaper alternatives over here (yet) due to trade restrictions.

As an EV enthusiast I don't think it's a bad thing that prices are dropping and there is more competition. Remember when flat screen TVs were like $20K 😆?
There is a ridiculous byd for like 10k - the seagull I think. Right now no plans to bring it to the US. I have no idea if it would pass our safety standards but ppl are clamoring for it in the UK.

Musk doesn't give a damn, you have to give him that. But it seems like a stretch to say the drop in demand is all Elon hate. Has demand dropped in other countries? Anyone?

If sales are still rising, then prices are dropping because there is more competition. IMO it's a little different with electronics vs cars. When you have a half a ton of minerals in the car, the price of those minerals is, to some extent, out of your control.

What percentage of Tesla cost is battery?

Back