ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

What do you call this:

Every time you make the batteries bigger (EV or hybrid), you need to beef up the suspension, brakes and tires. So some part of your battery is wasted pulling itself around.

Dom or TJ what kind of mileage are you getting out of your tires?

What percentage of Tesla cost is battery?
That is an excellent question. I do not know. What I do know is that the cost of the battery is what makes them disposable, thus why ins companies have to total them.

It's like battery powered tools. The tools themselves aren't all that much money, but to replace the battery is big bucks compared to the price of a new tool. I know I'll just buy a new tool vs paying for a new battery.

It's like battery powered tools. The tools themselves aren't all that much money, but to replace the battery is big bucks compared to the price of a new tool. I know I'll just buy a new tool vs paying for a new battery.
In our little camper mishap last year I lost my ryobi tool batteries. For Christmas presents I got 2 new batteries that came with five new tools that I may may or may not have needed... :unsure:

If sales are still rising, then prices are dropping because there is more competition.
Tesla sales were down Q1 YoY so yes, if the EV market as a whole was still up then competitors made up that difference. I'm just theorizing that if Musk wasn't at the helm, Tesla would have done better irrespective of the competition, and EV sales as whole would have been up more then a couple of percent YoY.

In terms of what percentage of cost is the battery I don't know, but I do know that Lithium prices have come down drastically over the past year:

What do you call this:

Every time you make the batteries bigger (EV or hybrid), you need to beef up the suspension, brakes and tires. So some part of your battery is wasted pulling itself around.

Dom or TJ what kind of mileage are you getting out of your tires?
Probably 30k. They need to do better with the tires..

The battery swap is a curious step with lots of questions.

Do I buy a new car with a new battery and then swap it out for a used battery? To me, that seems crazy.
or
Since the battery is such an expensive part of the car and you are swapping them out, shouldn't the car be much cheaper?
Obviously there are swapping stations in other countries, but in the US they have not happened - why is that? possible answer - too expensive.
The article mentions power is cheaper at night, but with solar and wind as major sources of power, that might not be true anymore.

In the US, the battery packs are part of the support structure of the car and sometimes have liquid cooling making them difficult or impossible to swap in a refuel time frame. They are also low in the car for handling purposes but also subject to abuse/damage that might make a normal swap even more difficult. Musk/Tesla faked a battery swap about 10 years ago and Tesla has completely abandoned the battery swap.

Despite what the article says, the swapping stations will cost a fortune:
1. Expensive electrical supply depending on how many batteries are stored
2. Expensive equipment handling for heavy battery packs and storage
3. Expensive fireproof storage buildings with big time fire control systems in case of battery fires (who wants to live near a swapping station - not me)
4. Need excess inventory of batteries beyond the supply of cars to support the battery swap. Since batteries are so expensive, what company wants to inventory batteries?

Without the Chinese govt 'financing', I doubt many companies would want to finance and store/charge expensive batteries.

The battery swap is a curious step with lots of questions.

Do I buy a new car with a new battery and then swap it out for a used battery? To me, that seems crazy.
or
Since the battery is such an expensive part of the car and you are swapping them out, shouldn't the car be much cheaper?
Obviously there are swapping stations in other countries, but in the US they have not happened - why is that? possible answer - too expensive.
Clearly what Nio is doing is not the norm, not even in China or Norway. Apparently there were 700 Nio battery swap stations in China at the end of 2021. Nio was ranked #9 as a BEV company in China in 2023.

January 2022
" . . .
Thanks to the battery swap stations, NIO is able to offer the cars in the Battery as a Service (BaaS) sales model, which means that customers are purchasing a car without a battery and they pay a monthly subscription to use the battery/battery swap network.

According to the company, 92% of early customers in Norway opted for BaaS instead of the full purchase. As of today, there are more than 200 NIO ES8 registered in Norway.

The Chinese manufacturer doubles down with the charging infrastructure as well, and even at the swap stations, there are NIO-branded fast chargers (150 kW).
. . ."

Back