First one is a Nio(Chinese ev 50k
Vw ev (not available in us)
Toyota ev van
Vinfast (Vietnamese brand) ev
IMG_3968.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg

The government and car makers pushed EV's because the electric infrastructure is there for charging.
The long term solution is hydrogen fuel cells. It will start with the trucking industry as they can have their own hydrogen fueling stations at their terminals. Cars will follow once the infrastructure is built out for hydrogen fueling. That will likely be a private/public partnership and the oil companies will be involved. And even though they probably won't need it they will lobby for subsidies and get them because, they "donate" a lot of money to political campaigns.

I agree. A lot of EVs are cool from an engineering standpoint but other possible solutions have been crowded out by all the money getting thrown at EVs. Hydrogen may be the best example.

And now the EV demand is dropping. If that is a permanent thing, hydrogen or something else will fill the void. What is Toyota up to?

My theory: if EV batteries get smaller/lighter and range can move from 250 to 400+ then EVs will come back. The question is when. If it takes 20 years (made that number up) then hydrogen or something else will probably be in place.

Once we arrive at a solution (or solutions), we'll have to build the infrastructure.

Few advancements progress along a straight line.

Lots of good conversation going on here.

I’m afraid that batteries are recyclable is similar to the lie they told us about plastic.

It very well could be that they are less harmful than ICEs, even with the mining factored in. But if people want 500 mile range, hauling around those big heavy batteries is not a good idea. Especially since most of their daily driving is less than 50 miles.

I think battery swapping was the best idea. Pull in, swap out, as fast as going through a car wash. The customer doesn’t have the big upfront cost of buying these big battery packs and they’re not on the hook if one goes bad. Could be a subscription model or maybe you pay for what you need. Around town you have a small pack, going on a trip you get a bigger one. The idea didn’t take off because the car companies couldn’t agree on a standard. They would rather have everything be proprietary.

We need more chargers with faster charge times and an emphasis on the use of smaller packs.

Let’s all hope that nothing becomes the next plastic.

I remember reading one of Mandela’s books and one of the many striking things was his reaction to plastic in his home town.

After prison he was struck by the volume of plastic around his home village which was not an issue when he was growing up.

Remember these commercials? They scared us into thinking that we need it and would all be dead without it.

Last edited:
Another issue with EVs is repair costs. Currently ins companies are totaling out EVs, that if an ICE would be fixable. Issue being the cost of battery replacement. If battery prices can get normalized, and EVs are still pushed, we'll all see massive insurance costs related to EVs.

1) EV sales are not declining. Their growth rate has definitely slowed, but YoY Q1 sales are still up.
2) I agree about battery swapping, NIO is already doing it in China
3) Where does the Hydrogen come from?

Back