ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Thruway Authority installing EV chargers at New Baltimore rest area. Stewart's in Keene Valley has chargers, as does Mt van Ho.... I can't think of other places in the Tri-Lakes, but I'm on ICE.

Thruway Authority installing EV chargers at New Baltimore rest area. Stewart's in Keene Valley has chargers, as does Mt van Ho.... I can't think of other places in the Tri-Lakes, but I'm on ICE.
Any in the ORDA ski mountains?

The "nowhere to charge" thing is kind of a BS myth. The real rap is that charging is not as convenient as filling up, not that you can't find a place to do it. If you are traveling a long way you (currently) have to plan out your route. Possibly wait to get a charger, and then take the time to charge.
It is not a BS myth. If you do not have a dedicated parking spot at your home to charge, an EV is a huge problem. Think of all the people who live in rentals, condos, multifamily, and cities. If this part of population went EV there will never be enough chargers.

On a bigger scale, there is nothing being done to improve the long distance wires that deliver the electricity and move it around the grid. On a smaller scale, every time I go to my sister's house in VT the clocks are blinking - which means at least once a week there is a power failure. How can you trust that you will have consistent power in rural areas like VT?

Further - as wind and solar continue to become a bigger portion of electric generation, night becomes a demand problem. Modular nuclear could be an answer, but anybody who's home is near a potential nuke plant will get a lawyer (paid for by the oil/gas industry) will hold up that situation for years.

Calling BS on the EPA itself ... Case in point.
It's fine with me if you choose to think the manufacturing of cars and huge batteries is green.
Ironically, the people wanting us to believe this are flying around in private jets and being chauffeured around in big SUVs.

It is not a BS myth. If you do not have a dedicated parking spot at your home to charge, an EV is a huge problem. Think of all the people who live in rentals, condos, multifamily, and cities. If this part of population went EV there will never be enough chargers.

Sigh. Did I say this twelve times in this thread?

"Not every drive train is right for every application. "

Obvious if you can't charge at home, a hybrid or ICE is a better choice. It doesn't mean there is no place for electric. Probably makes more sense to have a kid shovel your 10' of sidewalk vs buying a snowblower too.

I'm buying an ICE car next, but any place I can use an electric motor (lawn mower, leaf blower?) I'm buying one. That is all because of my specific situation. I'm using my brain.

Personally I don't buy the grid dooms day talk. I do agree the grid is old and lame, and needs work.

The regs are not going to force people with no place to charge to by an EV. NY already changed the heat pump thing to allow you to use propane backup in places where it is too cold.

I'm using my brain.
Too bad more people haven't done this.

Our government has spent what, 35ish billion on EVs? Something like that? And they're nothing but a flop. EV sales are on the decline. Both the manufactures, and dealer bodies, are losing money on every EV they sell. That's bad math. Toyota, arguably one of the best manufacturers in the world, has been very vocal on EVs NOT being a solution. So much so that they have been dragging their heels into production. They believe in hydrogen powered motors. Tesla never would've made it unless they sold their EV credits to other manufactures. Never. Then we can get into the build quality, but that's exhausting to me.

The government is forcing/selling us these EVs. They'll never admit they made a mistake.

Last edited:
The government is forcing/selling us these EVs. They'll never admit they made a mistake.
I agree. A lot of EVs are cool from an engineering standpoint but other possible solutions have been crowded out by all the money getting thrown at EVs. Hydrogen may be the best example.

Back