ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Exactly this. Unless a person needs a new ride badly, wait. This market is fkn nuts right now.
Camp, it was so weird. Such a different experience than 2011. The sales person at one place was nice but very clear that they probably wouldn't sell without the mark up, period, and I would have to drop that deposit just to test drive. I was polite but I was literally laughing because it was such a different experience. Keep in mind, while I see day to day food inflation, I haven't made a big purchase during Covid other than a dryer, which was a bit like, whatever, just buy the thing.

At the other dealer, they wouldn't even let me ask them about the 'market adjustment' range unless I would come in to negotiate on price. Hard no there.

Camp, it was so weird. Such a different experience than 2011. The sales person at one place was nice but very clear that they probably wouldn't sell without the mark up, period, and I would have to drop that deposit just to test drive. I was polite but I was literally laughing because it was such a different experience. Keep in mind, while I see day to day food inflation, I haven't made a big purchase during Covid other than a dryer, which was a bit like, whatever, just buy the thing.

At the other dealer, they wouldn't even let me ask them about the 'market adjustment' range unless I would come in to negotiate on price. Hard no there.
If you're serious, and have to buy now, you need to go online and get out of that big metro market. Some dealers around here are marking up from MSRP, no doubt. But the majority aren't, if you can find and purchase at MSRP it's already worth more than what you just paid. That's never been seen in this industry. Million, or millions dollar question is when does it shift back.

If you're serious, and have to buy now, you need to go online and get out of that big metro market. Some dealers around here are marking up from MSRP, no doubt. But the majority aren't, if you can find and purchase at MSRP it's already worth more than what you just paid. That's never been seen in this industry. Million, or millions dollar question is when does it shift back.
This is a big economic catch 22. When you have all this demand and shortage and inflation, my arm chair economist says the fed should raise rates. But if you look post 2008, from a policy perspective we have not been willing to do that.
If you raise rates, the market should go down, which could affect confidence, which could lead to unemployment, etc. Not an easy situation. Who knows what the psychology of this market is combined with lingering health concerns.

Man am I glad I bought my last car in October, 2019. I always liked the local dealer that I dealt with but I won't be taking my car back there next fall for the "free" inspection. I know they aren't making money on cars because they have very little to sell but they are really stretching on their service. I called them on some BS and they knocked it off. They wanted to charge me for two cracked wheel studs. I told them the only way the studs were cracked is if they were over torqued and that they were the only ones to touch the wheels since I bought the car. That's was one thing that my engineering degree helped with.

The other alternative (and the most likely one right now) is just wait. The mighty CRV just keeps giving me reasons to love it. Knock wood the only unscheduled cost I have ever had is battery, which seems to fail in 2 or 3 years versus some longer period on this particular Honda. I remember when I had 80,000 miles and the tire guy thought I was crazy for buying nice 60,000 mile tires. Whose laughing now ; )
If you can make this work, why not wait? Plus, if you do go for the Rivian, the longer you wait the better your odds of having to deal with less problems. I would not want to pay to be part of their long term test crew.

Shiny New Toy Syndrome can be a real bitch.

Shiny New Toy Syndrome can be a real bitch.
It's kind of funny that the same thing that drove rich people to park hummers in their driveway in the 90s is driving sales of Teslas now. We're all the same and things never change.

From a few pages back, on range:

My CRV gets about 33 mpg highway, and has a driving range around 400. It's great to do something as far flung as drive to McCauley to chase snow, and not have to think about gas until the END of the day.

CRV gets closer to 35 at home, driving 40 mph in the burbs.

Originally I thought the turbo was stupid, but it is awesome. I've got this tiny motor (1.6L) but if you NEED to stomp it, it goes. If I am alone, which is most often the case. With 3 people and luggage not so much.

Also unlike my other CRVs, the mpg on this one has not dropped since the beginning.

Back