ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Considering its from somebody that loves Rivian and is on board with EVs in general, that review is pretty devastating. They're losing tons of charge just sitting in place in the cold and need to turn off all the fancy bells and whistles to get maximum range. And charging still sounds like an overly complicated nightmare. Your wife is right. Wait for the better battery to be available.

I know EVs are the future and even the present for many situations, but dancing with a 240 range is not for me. In the late 1980s I had a 1979 Dodge pickup 4 x 4 as my ski vehicle. It had a 22 gallon tank and 10-12mpg on the highway. I was filling it up every 180-200 miles. It was a giant pain in the ass. I will never go back to a sub-300 range.
That's exactly why I was only interested in a hybrid or a PHEV. Hearing about the effort my friend who owns a Tesla needs to do in order to get from NC to Lake Placid and back just confirmed my inclination.

If I'm driving 500+ miles in a day, I want to be able to stop more or less when I feel like it for a rest stop or food. Sometimes that means driving 3 hours without a stop for any reason. At highway speeds, I don't want to have to stop because the car needs gas or a charge. The old minivan had a range of about 300 miles so I learned how to manage filling up with gas driving the 800 miles between my house and LP or Boston. Didn't usually day in one day but often drove 600+ miles before stopping for the night. The RAV4 Prime isn't quite as good as a RAV4 Hybrid when only using HV mode, but still can count on at least 400 miles even at high speed in cold weather.

The longest ranged vehicle I ever had was my ‘85 GMC Safari. It held about 26 gallons and got ok mileage. I think I went over 600 miles on a tank once. Anything less than 300 is a PITA to deal with, even when you just have to fill up with gas. Manufacturers need to do better

I wonder if I will end up just getting a nice Highlander hybrid . . . . We'll see.

If you're waiting I'd seriously look at one of the big three, Chevy, Ford, or Ram. I get that Rivian is cool and all, but man they keep delaying and raising prices. I'd also be cautious of their limited dealer network.

I wonder if I will end up just getting a nice Highlander hybrid . . . . We'll see.
That's what my trucker friend got for his wife. She had a Prius Hybrid for a while. Needed a bigger car for grandchildren and weekend ski trips to Bachelor. They live in southern Oregon. They are very happy with the Highlander.

For context, he has had a full-size pickup with a camper for a long time.

The Sienna hybrid is still the leading candidate for my next big car.
That's what my friend in Boston got in 2021. Decided what she wanted in 2020 and took a while to find a dealer who could delivered exactly what she wanted but it was worth the wait for her. She prefers having a minivan rather than a pickup. Does a lot of DIY projects. Two daughters over 20.

Back