ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I remember hearing Sandy Munro say in a video interview that he was thinking that Ford was in the best position to move forward because they were more likely to be able to ramp up production if there was demand. He expected Europeans to be interested in Lightning if Ford can provide them there. In his first detailed look, he kept commenting about the frame and other parts that are essentially the same as an ICE F-150.
You're ahead of me in your Sandy videos! It makes alot of sense. The only thing different about the Lightening is basically going to be the battery and 'powertrain' and fronk- the seats, lights, etc., have lower price per part because they are shared with the most or one of the most popular trucks.

What is a Skoda Octavia as they’re #2 in sales in Switzerland?
Why ain’t they here?

What is a Skoda Octavia as they’re #2 in sales in Switzerland?
Why ain’t they here?
They are owned by VW and related to the VW Golf and the Audi A3. VW is no longer selling the regular Golf in the US, only GTI and possibly R versions. This size sedan is similar size to the Jetta.

WSJ interview by Rivian's CFO saying they will put production ahead of profitability. Which I guess makes sense if you are trying to justify their insanely high valuation/market cap. That should be good for the consumer. We'll see!

This looks like a non employee owner review of the R1t. Interesting to see the bugs. The high speed charging issue will be relevant for me, as it is about 240 miles to Gore (which this person got in the cold on 100% charge).

This looks like a non employee owner review of the R1t. Interesting to see the bugs. The high speed charging issue will be relevant for me, as it is about 240 miles to Gore (which this person got in the cold on 100% charge).

What do you think the temperature was for the charging issue?

My friend with an older Tesla has been learning the hard way how long it takes to finish charging in Lake Placid when it's cold. On the morning he was picking up his daughter at North Country School for Thanksgiving break, he was surprised that it took over an hour to finish up.

For my RAV4 Prime, getting the last 5 EV miles takes about 2 hours out of the total 11 hours for a full charge starting with zero EV miles. The difference in max EV between charging at 40 degrees and 60 degrees is noticeable. I mostly charge outdoors but also charge in the garage when it's cold or rainy.

I've noticed that when I charge while driving HV, the max EV miles possible is about 35. That's about the same and when I unplug with 2 hours remaining on the time estimate to finish charging.

Just had the 25,000 mile service done. Last free service under ToyotaCare since that's good for 24 months or 25,000 miles. The trip to Colorado was about 4000 miles so the time since the 20,000 mile service (with oil change) was only about 5 weeks. I'm starting a southeast ski safari today so will go over 25,000 in another week or so.

I don't know the temp when they were having trouble with high speed charging, but (and I am way out of any area of expertise) it looks like the issue was software related. One question I have is if this was on the most effecient tires (21) or the AT (20). They said in conserve mode they got 330, so that makes me think it is the 21s. I think I'd be fine with the 21s, but the 20s are so cool : ) and a 'free' upgrade for the type of order I have.

I do fully expect slow charge rates above 80% - this is a known quantity in the EV world, and is something I DON'T THINK they can code around for the forseeable future.

The person referenced driving in the mountains and getting 240 miles at 20F without hypermiling, which I was happy about.

If this were me, I would pick a spot on the map to stop for 10 minutes when you are in the best spot of the charging curve (20-80%) and grab miles. Rivian has statements out there that I can't recall but I think it is 120 range in 20 minutes.

I don't know the temp when they were having trouble with high speed charging, but (and I am way out of any area of expertise) it looks like the issue was software related. One question I have is if this was on the most effecient tires (21) or the AT (20). They said in conserve mode they got 330, so that makes me think it is the 21s. I think I'd be fine with the 21s, but the 20s are so cool : ) and a 'free' upgrade for the type of order I have.

I do fully expect slow charge rates above 80% - this is a known quantity in the EV world, and is something I DON'T THINK they can code around for the forseeable future.

The person referenced driving in the mountains and getting 240 miles at 20F without hypermiling, which I was happy about.

If this were me, I would pick a spot on the map to stop for 10 minutes when you are in the best spot of the charging curve (20-80%) and grab miles. Rivian has statements out there that I can't recall but I think it is 120 range in 20 minutes.
You are a brave man. Was that 240 mile mountain range you referenced based on a 100% battery? Was it in the winter?

I know EVs are the future and even the present for many situations, but dancing with a 240 range is not for me. In the late 1980s I had a 1979 Dodge pickup 4 x 4 as my ski vehicle. It had a 22 gallon tank and 10-12mpg on the highway. I was filling it up every 180-200 miles. It was a giant pain in the ass. I will never go back to a sub-300 range.

You are a brave man. Was that 240 mile mountain range you referenced based on a 100% battery? Was it in the winter?

I know EVs are the future and even the present for many situations, but dancing with a 240 range is not for me. In the late 1980s I had a 1979 Dodge pickup 4 x 4 as my ski vehicle. It had a 22 gallon tank and 10-12mpg on the highway. I was filling it up every 180-200 miles. It was a giant pain in the ass. I will never go back to a sub-300 range.
Yes, 240 was 20F into the mountains (me reporting here is like third hand hearsay). On normal use in conserve mode, got 330 range.

My wife and I were just talking about this. She wants to (perhaps wisely) wait for the max pack which should approach 400 mi, or with the winter 20-30 pc hit (Rivian's winter testing seems better than Tesla and was included in part of the EPA testing), would get us 300 miles.

But, if we go max pack, they are saying 2023, which is Rivian speak for December 31, 2023. I guess that's fine as our family car now is a 2011 CRV that runs just fine.

If we stick with our current order, it is slated to get delivered May-June 2022.

Back