ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

In the kitchen cooking and watching EV-related videos. Test drives in NYC are quite different than out in California. ;)

Rest in pieces.
That’s funny of course but I’m kind of surprised this guy isn’t in trouble. Did they extract the spent battery pack and other toxic materials before blowing that thing up? The YouTube stunt might have cost almost as much as the replacement would have.

Going to be an interesting week or two for EV pickups. Ford and GM will be in the news.

January 4, 2022
Yes - Chevy Silverado, I think, will get announced.

Note that for the R1T, it looks like a good 150 E without leather will be 73k and 280-300 range. The Rivian fandom is nervous Rivian will raise prices because the apples to apples is much better for Rivian. Similar with Cyber truck, which removed any references to prices on its reservation page.

Note that for the R1T, it looks like a good 150 E without leather will be 73k and 280-300 range. The Rivian fandom is nervous Rivian will raise prices because the apples to apples is much better for Rivian. Similar with Cyber truck, which removed any references to prices on its reservation page.
I remember hearing Sandy Munro say in a video interview that he was thinking that Ford was in the best position to move forward because they were more likely to be able to ramp up production if there was demand. He expected Europeans to be interested in Lightning if Ford can provide them there. In his first detailed look, he kept commenting about the frame and other parts that are essentially the same as an ICE F-150.

Having driven my RAV4 Prime out to Colorado and back, I have a clear idea of how it works for my lifestyle. At home, it's an EV 90% of the time. Only a few places I drive to from the house require more than 40 miles round trip. I don't need to drive every day so usually only charging once or twice a week. When I travel, I don't even bother to take the charging cable. If I forget to start HV mode, I can charge up the traction battery to 30-35 miles EV to have available for non-highway driving.

Having 20+ EV miles seems to be better than letting it get to zero.

In the cold temps in Colorado and doing a lot of high speed highway driving, the HV mileage was low 30s. Noticeably less than for my summer trips. Still an improvement over the old minivan. And far more fun!

Back