ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Hey!

I think that fact you referred to is a little bit off - last time I checked they were the third or fourth largest; behind Tesla, Toyota, VW. But, your general point stands. To answer your question, no it does not bother me that Rivian has a large market cap and has produced around 700 trucks and is far from profit. But I recognize I am taking early adopter risk. I like that risk better than I like what I view as the alternative risks, described below.

It doesn't bother me as a customer. I have a refundable 1,000 deposit, so I don't have a lot of money at risk in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I take risk that they could be a Nikola, but facts suggest they won't be. They are owned 18% by Amazon. If they screw up, Amazon will just buy them. I don't like Amazon, but there will be a company out there. Of course I take early adopter risk, but I just don't want an ICE, and third row suv would be a nice convenience. Not sure how old you are, but I think my observation over time makes climate change pretty clear over time to me (yes, that is non scientific, but that is what science says, too). Unless you live in West Virginia, buying an EV is a much, much cleaner route over life of vehicle than ICE. We can debate it, but I have looked into the facts and believe I am correct that going this route is better overall. I am not a raging green (or at least not overtly). Its just that I have kids, I see my local micro climate as drastically different in the past 35 years of my memory, and I really would like to do what I can in reason to leave a planet to my grandkids or their kids that could literally be like living in hell. Yeah that's a dramatization, but if there is going to be an EV product that meets my wants, and not every last dollar matters to me, I am going to support that.

It doesn't bother me that much as a capitalist. I did not participate in pre-IPO shares that Rivian made available to pre-order holders like me (though looks like I would have a paper gain of tens of thousands) because of a work restriction on owning pubcos. The market appears to be drawing the conclusion that they are more like Ford in 190- whatever competing against profitable horse buggy manufacturers. The valuation is a reflection in belief in a certain outcome in the future. It will be right or wrong. I indirectly own Rivian (I think) through ownership of Vanguard's total stock market index, which is how I purchase any US equity I have any interest in. That's fine with me. I don't try to bet on the winners - I just bet on the market over time.

Getting solar doesn't really make financial sense for me right now. But the next time I have enough cash outside of my normal financial planning I will probably throw up some solar on my garage and then my transportation will end up being like 95% clean (we will have a second ICE car but it is driven like 2,000 miles a year). I have other posts that get into the dirty part of mfg EVs so I won't get into that. The answer is EVs are less worse at 18 mos, and then from 66% to infinitely cleaner depending on how you charge, with the exception of West Virginia.

Rivians do exist. I was going to the local Target and we spotted a Rivian R1T. I flagged the gentleman parking it down, and it turns out he may be the first nonemployee delivery. This is in metro NY.

It was the same make as the one I test drove. The vehicle is so cool in real life. I am looking forward to hopefully getting one (an R1s) in the next six months or so. But not counting on it.

Thanks for your detailed reply very interesting. I think it's great you are enthusiastically on board with EV's.

I'm 63 BTW and I have 3 boys. My question to you really had more to do with issues like dealerships, parts, and service support. I'm not bold enough to trust any of these new EV companies in those regards.

Thanks for your detailed reply very interesting. I think it's great you are enthusiastically on board with EV's.

I'm 63 BTW and I have 3 boys. My question to you really had more to do with issues like dealerships, parts, and service support. I'm not bold enough to trust any of these new EV companies in those regards.
Anybody know anything about Apple’s alleged foray into EV’s?

Cool. You have a totally valid point.

Dealerships and support has an answer. I don't know if it is good or not! Rivian is pushing out regional service centers. So there is one in Brooklyn, like 15 miles from me. You would go there or they would pick up the car for bigger things. For smaller things, they are deploying the mobile vans that they are making for Amazon to bring a mini garage to you. Without doubt, it is unproven. So, yes, taking that risk on.

For spare parts, that will be interesting. There is a big debate that I know little about relating to the 'right to repair' - Tesla only makes parts available if it wants to. For example, they don't support salvage title, etc. So again, I am taking a big risk here.

It may be part of human psychology to underestimate future risk. That may be part of it. Part of it is that I definitely do not want an ICE, and at least for someone like me who should have around the first 5,000 vehicles, they have a big incentive to deliver good products. In the age of Instagram etc, if people are complaining about their vehicles, the company will not do as well.

On the other side of the equation, I saw a nine figure settlement came out relating to Nikola in a headline. For the folks noting my leap of faith, it is very clear to me we are in a buyer beware environment.

Even Tesla, which actually delivers hundreds of thousands of vehicles annually, is believed to over promise and underdeliver (remember the 30,000 model 3?).

I can’t find it now but I think I saw that the R1 price has gone from an initial estimate of 44k up to almost 80. Is that correct? Did you figure from the start that 44 was unrealistic and allow for that?

I can’t find it now but I think I saw that the R1 price has gone from an initial estimate of 44k up to almost 80. Is that correct? Did you figure from the start that 44 was unrealistic and allow for that?
This one is actually just a rumor. They have pretty much stayed constant in price. Before they announced pricing, they said something like nicely equipped at about 65,000 after tax incentive, which is 7500, so like 72,500.

Then they announced two packages: Adventure which is the higher end with wood heated and ventilated seats, etc that was 75,500; And explore 69,000 - all the same performance but a little bit 'cheaper' interior - no ventilated seats, less sound sound.

For the trucks it is a few thousand cheaper - the Adventure I think 72,000?

They are actually getting pushed to raise prices. On the earnings call they said they are thinking about it.

I hope they don't. At some point there will be enough stuff where I wouldn't get it. Though, all the third parties say it is a good 'value' for the price. For example, Doug Demouro (sp?) some internet review guru gave the R1t the same score as the Hummer, which is many tens of thousands more (R1t also beat Hummer out for Motortrend truck of the year).

Back