ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

On our Prius it works great, even on an old car. We test drove a honda and the whole thing shook like a MF when it restarted. Deal breaker for us.
I turn it off on the work F-150's, its pretty rough. The new Ranger is better. Someone once told me that mileage savings is negligible, that Ford used it to meet emissions :oops:

I think they should use it more. Like in Manhattan. Although a lot of the cabs are hybrids.

Seems like simple reliable technology.
I agree but the trend now is to discourage all hybrid solutions in favor of pushing us into EVs. I‘m a broken record I guess but I can’t believe a scaled down diesel/electric or gas/electric wouldn’t offer big improvements in mileage and emissions without requiring new infrastructure. Locomotives, cargo ships and heavy equipment are almost all diesel/electric because it’s extremely efficient.

I agree but the trend now is to discourage all hybrid solutions in favor of pushing us into EVs. I‘m a broken record I guess but I can’t believe a scaled down diesel/electric or gas/electric wouldn’t offer big improvements in mileage and emissions without requiring new infrastructure. Locomotives, cargo ships and heavy equipment are almost all diesel/electric because it’s extremely efficient.
I agree, especially when biofuels are used, even as a blend, along with regenerative braking.

I turn it off on the work F-150's, its pretty rough. The new Ranger is better. Someone once told me that mileage savings is negligible, that Ford used it to meet emissions :oops:
Not thinking of it as an mpg thing, more about emissions in places like Manhattan, where cars are stopped a lot. I don't see how it's a hybrid specific feature. I'm no prognosticator but my guess is hybrids will be around for quite a while.

It’s supposed to save gas in stop n go driving as well as improve emissions I believe. I’m sure results vary widely depending on conditions and driving style

Hybrid takes all the start up delay out of it. Some of the gas only ones are pretty annoying.

mm
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

Insanity:
76F17435-39BC-45DF-9AC1-4A0ABF45A7F5.jpeg

Back