ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

This is interesting - it looks like it only covers cost to fuel, not savings in maintenance. Headline - at home charging in substantially cheaper than gas; long haul trips only using fast chargers are marginally cheaper. That makes sense as it costs money to install the fast chargers that have to go into the system.

I've been wondering why ICE cars don't shut off at idle the way hybrids do.

Anyone seen this?

On our Prius it works great, even on an old car. We test drove a honda and the whole thing shook like a MF when it restarted. Deal breaker for us.

Start/stop systems have been around a long time just like variable displacement (shutting down cylinders while cruising). Both technologies took a long time to mature. I’ve never had a car with start/stop but I’ve ridden in friends‘ cars that had it and usually you don’t even notice it over the radio and conversation.

Start/stop systems have been around a long time just like variable displacement (shutting down cylinders while cruising). Both technologies took a long time to mature. I’ve never had a car with start/stop but I’ve ridden in friends‘ cars that had it and usually you don’t even notice it over the radio and conversation.
I think they should use it more. Like in Manhattan. Although a lot of the cabs are hybrids.

Seems like simple reliable technology.

Back