ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Just for fun I'm paying attention to the Aussie thread about EVs. The guys liked the Rivian videos.

They are excited about the idea that Tesla said Superchargers will be accessible by other EVs soon, supposedly late 2021 when there was a Tweet.

July 22, 2021

Rivian is increasing their rate of production, with about 170 built in October or about 5 per day. And apparently some non-employee customers received delivery. Their 'intent' would then go to about 20 per day before year end to produce 1200 R1ts by year end. As TJ noted, they were producing 1-2 vehicles a day when they first filed.

From page 1 of the S-1 amendment filed today ( https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001874178/000119312521315537/d157488ds1a.htm )

*. *. *.

In the consumer market, we launched the R1 platform with our first-generation consumer vehicle, the R1T, a two-row five-passenger pickup truck, and began making customer deliveries in September 2021. As of September 30, 2021, we produced 12 R1Ts and delivered 11 R1Ts, and as of October 31, 2021, we produced 180 R1Ts and delivered 156 R1Ts. Nearly all of these vehicles were delivered to Rivian employees, and we expect to ramp deliveries to third-party customers as we increase our production rate. We plan to launch and commence customer deliveries for the R1S, a three-row seven-passenger sports utility vehicle (“SUV”) in December 2021 following the completion of ongoing vehicle validation and all required testing. By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss.

This is somewhat interesting. Here is a youtube from three guys who have a very pro Rivian youtube. Rivian seems to be pushing out another delay without saying so. These guys seem visibly upset. It will be interesting to see what happens to preorders over time with more and more delays. Some people (and it seems like maybe this happened to TJ to some degree) will just need to make a choice on buying a new vehicle.

Customer communication already seemed to be a weak point. The CEO signed an email in the Summer saying they would not delay further; a commitment not made.

I am not judging, but their body language looks visibly upset.

Thats what happened to ne. I needed a new vehicle. Can't wait forever for a company to get their shit together. Them going public with a valuation the size of Honda seems plain stupid to me. They make themselves seem like the next Tesla but all they are is a car company. They don't make rockets. They don't make solar roofs and they don't have elan musk. That stock is enticing but my brain tells me be very careful.

I just don’t see laying out almost 100k for a product from a start up
I’m all for ev’s but this doesn’t sound good

Thats what happened to ne. I needed a new vehicle. Can't wait forever for a company to get their shit together. Them going public with a valuation the size of Honda seems plain stupid to me. They make themselves seem like the next Tesla but all they are is a car company. They don't make rockets. They don't make solar roofs and they don't have elan musk. That stock is enticing but my brain tells me be very careful.
Rt on
That's all any of these things are. Just a car or truck.
Drive what trips your trigger.

What makes a charger bad, or good?
I have used Tesla superchargers 300x. I've never been interrupted by a charger completely out of order and only 4x had to wait for a stall because all were occupied. You pull in to a stall and plug in. No credit card interface or third party app required. Also most third party chargers are level 2 and far slower than superchargers. Only Electrify America (funded by the VW dieselgate settlement) offers high speed charging comparable to Tesla. EA's network is not yet as extensive and by word of mouth is less reliable.

I have been driving Tesla on Mammoth ski trips (320 miles each way) since April 2016. The charge stop in Lone Pine on the way up was 45 minutes in the 2016 car but is barely 15 in the 2019 car with 1/3 more range and 50% faster charging speed.

I also drove the 2019 Tesla round trip from SoCal to Florida in 2020, over 8,000 miles total with as much as 740 miles in one day.

Back