ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I have to look up blithe, so that's cool - brain exercise.

These are real issues; I don't think we can go status quo. My understanding (and have not looked back for a few months), but the battery storage for solar would have a longer life cycle. If it helps, I think people also put poweralls on the outside of their homes. I would probably put it in the garage or outside if I were doing it.
Putting a powerwall/battery outside would subject the battery to temps that would reduce its efficiency.
I came very close to putting solar up, but the solar roof doesn't generate that much electric. And for me, before i would do solar panels, I probably would replace my roof, so it was just an economic choice on priorities.
Solar can generate plenty of electricity. In NJ, if you want to use the grid as a battery, you are allowed to put up a system that generates your previous years' usage. This essentially zeros your grid usage.
And I haven't seen a toxicity analysis for ICE cars, but 1 they end up in landfills too and 2 they cause lots of pollution, which has a lot of indirect/external costs that if you believe in climate change, we are seeing now.
Very few ICE vehicles end up in landfills. They are mostly recycled.

Thanks 10003. I knew these points except for the last one about ICE cars being recycled - that is good to hear.

The information /research I've seen says ICE batteries will also be recycled; I know, 'show me'. I can't. JB something, the number 2 or 3 at Tesla has started a company solely focused on recycling EV batters for second use life. Rivian designed the cars that way with modular battery cells (and one of the 6 or 7000 batteries powers a flashlight in the driver side door).

Ny does a thing, too, where the grid can pull from your battery if there is a serious need. This happened like 4x last year; each time ends up being close to a non summer electric bill. So that's a thing if you consent to it that can generate dollars.

One of the best things bout regenerative brakes is they don’t wear out as fast.
Our prius has 120k still on the original brakes and it's a city car.

I thought ICE cars were recycled like 96% or something high.

EV Hummer and EV Rivian spotted in the wild next to each other. No retractable tail pipe needed:

Those self driving cars didn’t manage to park inside the designated spaces.
Or were they tryin not ta get scratched and/or dented?

Now, when EVs catch fire we can put them out with an electric fire truck.
Hah, I live 20 min from Durham. Compared to Raleigh, Durham has been way ahead in terms of doing things differently in the last 10-20 years.

". . .
Rosenbauer has started to sell the all-electric trucks; the first went into service in Berlin, Germany, last winter, followed by one each in Amsterdam and Dubai. The City of Los Angeles will begin using the first American version early next year, and the company plans to begin building them at its plant in Minnesota in 2023, said Mark Fusco, vice president of sales and marketing.

The truck has a six-cylinder BMW diesel engine, but that’s used only to recharge the batteries. It kicks on automatically when the batteries are at 20%. In 440 fire calls in Berlin, the engine came on only twice, Fusco said, and both times it was as the truck was returning to the station.

Without a large diesel engine and powertrain, the Rosenbauer electric truck is shorter than other fire trucks and sits lower to the ground. When the truck is parked, the step in and out of the crew compartment is only 7 inches off the ground, which is safer and easier for firefighters carrying heavy gear. The hydraulic suspension will lift the truck up to 30 inches off the ground for high water and other obstacles.

The truck is also silent while parked and nearly so while in motion, so firefighters can “use their inside voices” on their way to a call, said Tripp Evans, president of the company that will sell the trucks in North Carolina.
. . ."

Back