ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Can't even get one yet
They keep pushing back delivery times
I think TJ had a deposit down, or one on order, or something like that, but pulled the plug (pun intended).
I cancelled my order when they kept pushing back release dates. Just bought a car. I had 175k and got hit with a 5k repair bill...I just it be tires and brakes on it. I dumped it. Good amount on the trade and seeing as no one likes TLX I had a big selection to choose from. I still might swap it out next summer.

Yes, but you do have a massive weight increase from the batteries.
So does a prius weigh a lot more than a corolla?

Not really a lot more if you are asking about a Prius Hybrid vs a gas-powder Corolla. Prius Hybrid 2021 is 3010 lbs. Found 2955 for the weight of a 2021 Corolla. The Corolla has been getting heavier since 2019. The Corolla Hybrid weighs 3150.

If I did the calculation right, the RAV4 Prime is about 500 pounds heavier than a RAV4 Hybrid. That's one reason the gas mileage for the Prime using only Hybrid mode isn't quite as good. Traction battery is good for 42-48 miles when fully charged, depending on temperature.

It looks like they did and had 30% charge left.

A Power Wagon may be $10,000 less but you get a $7,500 rebate with the EV. You also have an average $2,000 per year fuel cost with the gaser. You would recoup that difference very quickly and also eat Corvettes for breakfast.
Power Wagon can be fixed by nearly any decent tech in any shop. When the Rivian shits the bed up north at Gore, who's gonna fix it? They gonna break, they all do.
There's also rebates from Ram.
I'm still not convinced that EV's are here to stay. Lots of lip service going on now and that always makes me cautious.

Power Wagon can be fixed by nearly any decent tech in any shop. When the Rivian shits the bed up north at Gore, who's gonna fix it? They gonna break, they all do.
There's also rebates from Ram.
I'm still not convinced that EV's are here to stay. Lots of lip service going on now and that always makes me cautious.
No, no, no. There is zero maintenance with EVs. You just update it with your phone.?

Last edited:
I dont know, probably, but keep in mind that a partial ev like that has a tiny battery so if it is heavier, it is not by much. SCRATCH THAT - JUST USED THE MAGICAL GOOGLE MACHINE. Prius is 40 pounds lighter, about 1% of 3,000 lbs weight. It was probably designed with lighter materials and probably also has a smaller ICE engine, but I am just guessing.

The Rivian's battery for the smallest verison is 35% bigger than a Model X. That is because the Rivian looks nice and therefore is less effecient (keep in mind it is 4x-5x as efficient as a comparable ICE truck).

Somebody buy one of these damn things and let's have a report!

I'll put it on the front page.
I'll gladly do it but I don't need the front page treatment. Harv I will email you about some potential restrictions I have on posting that. That should be saved for something good.

I have a so-called R1s (Suv) Launch Edition that I placed in MAY 2019, and Rivian has committed to delivering those all sometime between December '21 and June 21, 2022.

If the beach driving permit is available then, I will get some pics on the soft long island sands (they black out sales to keep permits down).

BEV's are currently the best alternative to ICE's for several reasons. But I think that the best long term solution is HEV's (Hydrogen Electric Vehicles). Here's a good analysis of the plus's and minus's of HEV's.
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars. Everything you need to know
I agree BEVs (eg Prius, other hybrids) are the best alternative NOW. I don't know enough about Hydrogen, but it seems to me that pure EVs are getting way more backing. Keep in mind that Honda tried to ignore electric and (I think) go with hydrogen but they are now making a pure electric production vehicle for Europe (it looks cool but most people don't buy cars like that here).

Also, Toyota, which I believe bet on BEVs and then Hydrogen, announced a battery break through that is 5-10 years from production. This at least suggests they are being realistic that EV may be the future over Hydrogen

Back