ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

No, no, no. There is zero maintenance with EVs. You just update it with your phone.?
LOL
Wait until some computer nerd from ______________ (insert anywhere you'd like) starts hacking in to these things. What a shitshow this is going to be. You know damn well that will happen.

Can't even get one yet
They keep pushing back delivery times
I think TJ had a deposit down, or one on order, or something like that, but pulled the plug (pun intended).
Camp - I can't find the post, but I saw you say, 'What happens when you are stuck?'

Rivian says (I know that 'do' matters more than 'say') that for the first year you get free membership, which includes them coming to you with backup charging and fixing, including if you are in extreme offroad conditions (I don't know of any mfg doing that).

So, they would come get me if I were stuck on 87. Will they actually do it? It seems like it is a risk I will be taking.

I'm sure they are aware of the problems and have people working on it. Since I live close to Normal, I volunteer to take an early delivery and help them discover any issues that need to be fixed ;)
It's like running out of staples, shit never breaks at the right time. Hopefully it's not 10 below and snowing sideways when it breaks down.

LOL
Wait until some computer nerd from ______________ (insert anywhere you'd like) starts hacking in to these things. What a shitshow this is going to be. You know damn well that will happen.
This is a valid concern. Tesla recently paid a so-called white hat hacker that hit an exploit. But camp, it is a concern for probably any car built with a 'hotspot' ability in it, no matter how 'dumb' the car is. So, say, after year 2017 or so (someone would have to tell me - my newest and cheap car that sits in the driveway because I live in the burbs but near a train station is from 2014).

The legacy automakers are even dumber about this. There was an early gen cherokee, I believe, that has a wifi hot spot that was almost completely unprotected. During the review, he contacted the journalist and took control of the car for a period of time on the highway to prove a point. I believe the exploit was fixed.

Camp - I can't find the post, but I saw you say, 'What happens when you are stuck?'

Rivian says (I know that 'do' matters more than 'say') that for the first year you get free membership, which includes them coming to you with backup charging and fixing, including if you are in extreme offroad conditions (I don't know of any mfg doing that).

So, they would come get me if I were stuck on 87. Will they actually do it? It seems like it is a risk I will be taking.
I get that. Where is Rivian? How long will it take them to get you? Will they only get cover you if your breakdown is due to a warrantied part? Will they deliver you a loaner car on the spot so you can continue doing whatever it is you are doing?
I've dealt with auto manufactures for 25+ years, like a lot of people they talk out of both sides of their mouths.

It's like running out of staples, shit never breaks at the right time. Hopefully it's not 10 below and snowing sideways when it breaks down.
Just FYI, that quote about living near Normal was pasted from that other forum. I happily and sometimes sadly live on Long Island.

I get that. Where is Rivian? How long will it take them to get you? Will they only get cover you if your breakdown is due to a warrantied part? Will they deliver you a loaner car on the spot so you can continue doing whatever it is you are doing?
I've dealt with auto manufactures for 25+ years, like a lot of people they talk out of both sides of their mouths.
Roger - not disagreeing. There is a lot to unpack there. I will include some links but I gotta get the kids moving soon this am.

I do believe that Rivian is resourced, ready, willing, and has a financial incentive to deliver a great product. If they don't some important core investors in finance (Blackrock, I think?), automotive (Ford) and tech (Amazon) and critics (Kelly blue book) won't be happy. The dollar speaks loudly.

I haven't tried to do the math, but Fords few hundred million investment in Rivian, if Rivian IPOs, will likely lead to more earnings (profit) than Ford makes in a year to several years in its business of selling cars.

This is a valid concern. Tesla recently paid a so-called white hat hacker that hit an exploit. But camp, it is a concern for probably any car built with a 'hotspot' ability in it, no matter how 'dumb' the car is. So, say, after year 2017 or so (someone would have to tell me - my newest and cheap car that sits in the driveway because I live in the burbs but near a train station is from 2014).
An ICE vehicle will still move in limp mode. I would imagine that an EV will completely shut down.

I truly look forward with your journey with this thing. Not joking at all. I give you tons of credit for knowingly getting a vehicle that will be quirky as hell, to begin with.

I haven't tried to do the math,
For me this ^^^^ is what it boils down too. Even if you pay cash for a vehicle you can break down your ownership into a monthly cost of ownership. I haven't done the math on ICE vs EV, nor do I care to, but, for me, the security of ICE outweighs the minimal savings (if any) of an EV.

I'll gladly do it but I don't need the front page treatment. Harv I will email you about some potential restrictions I have on posting that. That should be saved for something good.

I have a so-called R1s (Suv) Launch Edition that I placed in MAY 2019, and Rivian has committed to delivering those all sometime between December '21 and June 21, 2022.

If the beach driving permit is available then, I will get some pics on the soft long island sands (they black out sales to keep permits down).
Once you own the vehicle you can't post about it?

Back