ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Somebody buy one of these damn things and let's have a report!

I'll put it on the front page.
Can't even get one yet
They keep pushing back delivery times
I think TJ had a deposit down, or one on order, or something like that, but pulled the plug (pun intended).

I watched about half of this vid ^^. Pretty impressive.

That offroad road was hilarious. Can't believe it gets much use.

Did they do the offroading and then drive the 100 road miles on one charge? I'd be surprised.

Maybe I am stating the obvious but the idea of four electric motors strikes me as elegant.

You are eliminating all the weight of the drive train, and the ground clearance looks good without making the vehicle taller. I don't know this for a fact but I'm guessing that four small electric motors don't weight that much more than one motor with the same total power. So you get 4wd with little cost in weight.

Last edited:
Did they do the offroading and then drive the 100 road miles on one charge? I'd be surprised.
It looks like they did and had 30% charge left.

A Power Wagon may be $10,000 less but you get a $7,500 rebate with the EV. You also have an average $2,000 per year fuel cost with the gaser. You would recoup that difference very quickly and also eat Corvettes for breakfast.

I watched about half of this vid ^^. Pretty impressive.

That offroad road was hilarious. Can't believe it gets much use.

They did, I think. The second video is this guy Tom and I think after the offroading (28 miles) he drove 154 miles and had like 32% battery left. He is well known in the ev world and ev battery nerd world (I believe he also participated in a 'cannon ball run' for a Taycan or model three that did the trip in something ridiculous like 80 something hours).

He did the math and guestimated that the post offroading range when he was going on flat road was about the 314 epa rating. But keep in mind the rating is for their road tires and he was using less efficient AT tires with the offroad underbody option.

He says his math was from the flat portion, but keep in mind for some of that time he decreased altitude by 4,000 feet.

It looks like they did and had 30% charge left.

A Power Wagon may be $10,000 less but you get a $7,500 rebate with the EV. You also have an average $2,000 per year fuel cost with the gaser. You would recoup that difference very quickly and also eat Corvettes for breakfast.
Ripitz beat me

Maybe I am stating the obvious but the idea of four electric motors strikes me as elegant.

You are eliminating all the weight of the drive train, and the ground clearance looks good without making the vehicle taller. I don't know this for a fact but I'm guessing that four small electric motors don't weight that much more than one motor with the same total power. So you get 4wd with little cost in weight.
Yes, but you do have a massive weight increase from the batteries. For example, Camp can correct me but a truck smaller than an F-150 weighs a little less than a F-250.

What helps is the point you make plus regenerative breaking to recharge plus relatively good aero for a truck. The truck gets mpge of 70 (70 miles per gallon gas in electric equivalent).

The cool thing is that in the EPA tests, in Conserve mode (that we know little about right now), the hit was 27%. Many EVs the hit is 40%. I would be plenty happy with a 27% cold weather hit to range.

Just to be even-handed and Camp's point about blank sheet risk. In a Rivian forum, they are asking and answering why production delivery vehicles have only gone to employees so far (answer: they are not quite ready for prime time):

Don’t shoot the messenger, but I think they’re still working out a lot of small kinks, and are therefore delaying deliveries to non-employees. If you read/watch the reviews that came out yesterday there was a large number of problems with the trucks. Just a few that I remember seeing:
-Power tonneau broken on all but one truck
-Very jittery cameras
-problem with window foam preventing the window from properly rolling up
-tailgate not dropping automatically
-regen causing overheating even on mild grades
-some windshield wipers having a mind of their own
-multiple reports of problems with Driver+
-laggy navigation/maps
-a few others I don’t remember off the top of my head

None of this to take away from the generally amazing success of the reviews, but I feel like there are quite a few fixes that might still need to be corrected before these get out in the real public.

Yes, I know the trucks from the reviews were pre-prod. And yes, I know OTA updates can potentially be used to fix the non-mechanical issues.
That might explain a few things, looking back at my First Mile Event experience. I was looking to try the tonneau cover, but they told me they it was turned off for the event. I also noticed that the tailgate didn't drop when I pushed the button. I had to help it get started. I didn't really think much about it at the time.

I'm sure they are aware of the problems and have people working on it. Since I live close to Normal, I volunteer to take an early delivery and help them discover any issues that need to be fixed ;)

Back