ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Stop complaining people

IMG_4152.jpeg

Just got back from a driving trip that included about a week in Canada. Drove up via Maine to Nova Scotia. Gas was about $5.20 per gallon, based on the price per liter. Pretty much the same price all over Nova Scotia.

We filled up at the Costco south of Portland on the way north, and on the way south. We drove through New Brunswick on the way to Cape Breton Island. Got just enough afterwards in N.S. to get to Yarmouth, where we took the ferry to Bar Harbor on the way back. Then just enough in Bangor to get to Portland. I don't care that much to find the lowest gas price, but my husband does. 🙃

Huntsville’s an interesting town.
Trip report request DB.
So, 475 miles in with one stop in Hagerstown MD (274 miles from my house).

Both stops (stop one and overnight in Roanoke) the Rivian was equating to 321 miles on a charge(!). Probably because there was traffic keeping us to 65-70 mph. When I road trip I usually go 70-75. Beautiful drive.

It also seems cold weather is worse than hot for range.

It also seems cold weather is worse than hot for range.
That's been clear with my RAV4 Prime over the last couple years. The coldest experience was charging it at a rental house when it was in single digits during a Dec trip to ski Wolf Creek. I've been charging it outdoors at home lately for assorted reasons. Sometimes that means in the 80s. A full charge ends up with the same EV miles as when it's in the 50s or 60s.

Both stops (stop one and overnight in Roanoke) the Rivian was equating to 321 miles on a charge(!)... Beautiful drive.
Ya run the Blue Ridge Parkway?
Hiked from N. Georgia to Roanoke one springtime.
We quit there as it got too hot in late June even though the AT was flat on top of the ridge.

Ya run the Blue Ridge Parkway?
Hiked from N. Georgia to Roanoke one springtime.
We quit there as it got too hot in late June even though the AT was flat on top of the ridge.
81. Which I think is called 75 at some point.

81. Which I think is called 75 at some point.
Looks like I-81 ends at I-40 just before Knoxville, TN. Then the route to Huntsville is on I-75 for a while. I-75 goes south all the way to Miami, via Atlanta.

I take I-81 north from Staunton, VA all the way to Binghamton when I drive to Lake Placid from central NC. Have taken I-81 to Watertown a few times when I had extra time and was driving solo.

Back