ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

We made it in no problem. While my planning suggested more frequent stops, we did about 800-900 miles with two pit stops - one in MD and one in TN.

Total charge cost was about $85. Two high speed sessions on Rivian chargers were about $33; home was about 7.50 to get to 100 percent before leaving, and then a free slow level 2 charger across the street.

If you are in Huntsville I recommend you check out Bill Penney Toyota. These fine folks have a free charger. Nice people.

Here is the kicker - TN (the day 2 pit stop) had chargers by the hour so a charge from 10-88 percent was $12! About the price of charging off my home.

Pictures from the road, Roanoke and really good catfish in Huntsville.

The I-81 drive is just as beautiful as the 89/91 drive from Springfield to Stowe.

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpeg
    IMG_6202.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6214.jpeg
    IMG_6214.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3058 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_3058 Copy.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6282.jpeg
    IMG_6282.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 55
While my planning suggested more frequent stops, we did about 800-900 miles with two pit stops - one in MD and one in TN.
Here is the kicker - TN (the day 2 pit stop) had chargers by the hour so a charge from 10-88 percent was $12! About the price of charging off my home.
So you had a longer stop in mind and were comfortable going to 10% instead of doing an intermediate stop for a short charge. Is that right? I assume a "pit stop" means stopping not only to charge the R1S but also to get food for the people in the car.

So you had a longer stop in mind and were comfortable going to 10% instead of doing an intermediate stop for a short charge. Is that right? I assume a "pit stop" means stopping not only to charge the R1S but also to get food for the people in the car.
Yes. We both wanted less but longer stops. That meant driving 3.5-4.5 hours, stopping and charging and then hitting the road. Charge to 10-80 took 40 min or so.

Each day we had one mid stop and then charged at our destination so in that sense only one stop each day but really four total charges.

It is usually faster total time wise to stay in the best part of the charging curve but I only wanted to stop once.

It was nice for me I like to stretch my legs every 4 / 4.5 hours.

Yes. We both wanted less but longer stops. That meant driving 3.5-4.5 hours, stopping and charging and then hitting the road. Charge to 10-80 took 40 min or so.

Each day we had one mid stop and then charged at our destination so in that sense only one stop each day but really four total charges.

It is usually faster total time wise to stay in the best part of the charging curve but I only wanted to stop once.

It was nice for me I like to stretch my legs every 4 / 4.5 hours.
Makes sense to me. When I drive 700+ miles in a day solo, I need to stop every 2-3 hours for a toilet but I go as long as possible between stops. Usually start with a full tank of gas and have a plan for filling up at the most reasonable gas price along the way that means I have plenty to get to the destination for that night. I start early and stop to eat a late lunch, usually the same place I get gas.

I reset the MPG on the RAV4 Prime PHEV before starting the drive to Nova Scotia, via the Berkshires and Boston. Essentially drove in hybrid mode the entire trip, total 3600 miles. Ended up at about 38 MPG. That's less than if I had a RAV4 Hybrid because the Prime is heavier. We knew that when we bought the first RAV4 Prime.

I noticed charge stations in Canada. Parks Canada use EVs and PHEVs. The charge stations say Tesla, but the vehicles are not Teslas. I saw a 4-wheel utility vehicle (like the one in the picture) at Fortress Louisbourg where there were six charge stations.

St. Peter Canal Historic Site, June 2024
Parks Canada Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
CN charger - 1.jpeg

Big shout out to Bentley Hyundai in Huntsville. They let me use their high speed charger, and I showed them how to use it through the charge point app. Very kind folks there with lots of great cars.

Between when I drove down and drove up it looks like several high speed chargers went up in the state. When I researched the drive about a week or two ago I could only find one.

Attachments

• IMG_6471.jpeg
    IMG_6471.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 53
Should have included this above - Mileage: About 1,916 miles with about 31:30 driving time. Average miles about 315 miles per 100% charge.

DETAIL:

We averaged 314.9 miles per 100% charge. Max fill besides 100% at my house at the start of the trip was 93% from Hagerstown MD to my house on LI. We covered that 277 miles on 84% charge, arriving with 9%, equal to 329 miles at a 100 percent.

Each of the 5 legs of the 'fill ups' going into the 315 average were over 300 miles, except a 220 mile block where I went fast because I had plenty of extra range. For that, we equaled out to 290 miles of range, again over the 270 EPA estimate.

For most legs, I went 65-75 mph, adaptive 'self drive' (Rivian calls it Driver plus) that is basically hands free behind a tractor trailer or tall vehicle at the preset following distance. When I didn't have a car in front of me, I tried to cap my speed at 70 for efficiency. I didn't do any hyper miling or 'wierd' unsafe drag following.

'wierd' unsafe drag following.

IMO if you are doing this well enough to actually be effective, you are insane.

IMO if you are doing this well enough to actually be effective, you are insane.
If you have adaptive cruise control you are doing the same thing. I set it and forgot it. Closest setting at 60 is like 6 car lengths.

I actually get cut off a lot because people deem it too far away.

Edit: Sorry I misread you. I hear ya.

Last edited:
Back