ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Solar update:

My last bills have been about $15. A year ago June was $238 and a year ago July in the $500s. July should also be $15.

I have gotten the credit transfer down to 10 minutes a month so getting more efficient.

My solar loan is like $179 per month (but I’d have to double check).

How many years will it take you to break even?

How many years if you're lazy and don't do the credit shenanigans?

My roof is 30 years old and I'm starting to think about it. Not sure I get enough sun though.

I think I have to give it a year anyway cause in Jersey they only let you add capacity up to what you actually used in the previous year or something

How many years will it take you to break even?

How many years if you're lazy and don't do the credit shenanigans?

My roof is 30 years old and I'm starting to think about it. Not sure I get enough sun though.

I think I have to give it a year anyway cause in Jersey they only let you add capacity up to what you actually used in the previous year or something
I have to find and double check my analysis. I think it was like 6-10 years with no battery and 10-15 with battery. So this is long:

1- I got the battery (which is not economical) because I wanted to be able to have power if there is a blackout (admittedly unlikely as I am like 1,500 feet from a core terminal for the LIRR). You get a better pay back (more quickly) without a battery because they are expensive - like 8k AFTER tax rebates.

2-At least PSEG Li will not let u activate solar in an outage without a battery. Something about protecting the grid.

3-Cash flow wise, because of financing it was immediately cash flow positive. My loan is like 150-180 per month and a bill 15. I will say it is even more price than the company projected. But I have really really good solar exposure. Like 70 percent of peak in December! Last August’s bill was like 700. It will probably be 15 this year. Without the credit use (what was referred to as shenanigans) I would guess it would be 200. My wild guess is that with credits I could get to a second ev and be close to no bill. It would be a tiny one my wife would use when we had an event conflict. We are years from that due to our Impreza.

4-Without the credits it is much more analysis as I am always drawing 6-800 kw per month at night when I can never generate because I charge at night. Weirdly I get a massive benefit from my plan: either I trade in hours 1:2 or 1:4. I have not traded in the 1:4 (I keep banking it in that category) because that is 3-7 pm and this is my first year doing this.

5- I used empower solar. They will give you an analysis of saving that seemed accurate to conservative. I have positive and constructive feedback on them, but at the end of the day I am happy with what was done. This analysis is pretty helpful. Keep in mind you should apply interest value and future rate growth in. I don’t think they do that. Those two factors probably roughly cancel each other but I am not a finance guy.

Thanks Dom.

Yeah I'd like a battery for outages as well, especially as summers become more and more intense. You could deduct the cost of a generator and potential fuel from what you paid for the battery. $200/month for the credit "shenanigans" is significant, I do wish it would just be seamless and automated to make installing solar more enticing.

Did you consider solar shingles? Something like this.

I finally just got into the PSEG EV off peak charging program. It took them like 3 months to simply sign me up, and supposed to be another 2 months until data starts flowing. Kinda ridiculous.

Thanks Dom.

Yeah I'd like a battery for outages as well, especially as summers become more and more intense. You could deduct the cost of a generator and potential fuel from what you paid for the battery. $200/month for the credit "shenanigans" is significant, I do wish it would just be seamless and automated to make installing solar more enticing.

Did you consider solar shingles? Something like this.
Yes but solar shingles are less efficient. And at least when I wanted to do it a long wait. They do look nicer.

The 8k for battery was after deductions. NY states their credit is generous but they have a low dollar limit. NJ is probably better. Fed is sweet at 30 percent and starts to step down in a few years.

I finally just got into the PSEG EV off peak charging program. It took them like 3 months to simply sign me up, and supposed to be another 2 months until data starts flowing. Kinda ridiculous.
Bummer agree. I did not have a restriction like that. They did hold it one cycle.

Huntsville’s an interesting town.
Trip report request DB.
Huntsville is about as hilly as the hills around Syracuse.

When their scientists' space rockets blast off they use massive amounts of combustion energy & not much electrical energy other than what’s used for internal electronics.

There were some tweaks to the 2024 RAV4 Prime. The new feature that I would use is wireless Apple CarPlay. Another change is that the SE also has the 6.6 kW on-board charger, instead of just 3.3.

Comments in this video are a bit repetitive at times. It's a decent introduction for someone trying to decide between a RAV4 Hybrid and a RAV4 Prime PHEV.

March 27, 2024

Bottom line is that for my lifestyle, the R4P has been the perfect fit since late 2020 when we bought the first one. That is a 2021 R4P SE, which has been my daughter's car since Sep 2022. Her commute for work is about 25 miles round trip, usually only 2-lane roads. There are times on weekends when she drives enough to need to use HV gas miles.

In August 2022 I picked up a 2022 R4P XSE from the same NY dealer that sold us the first one. After I drive to Lake Placid this August, it will have over 45,000 miles. Since my daughter is living at home, I'm using a L2 charging. We had 240V installed in the garage years ago for another reason. One reason we bought the XSE for the second R4P was for the faster on-board charger. I can get almost a full charge in about 2 hours. The last 30-45 minutes, the draw is automatically very slow so only adds another 2-3 EV miles. So when I go out twice on the same day, I can easily charge up in between.

In recent weeks I've been playing with the Auto HV/EV mode. I reset the EV m/kWh when I got home from New England mid-June. What happens is that if I accelerate fast when driving at over 50 mph, HV mode kicks in briefly. Can happen very briefly at lower speeds, but I can't make it happen as consistently. When I'm on the Interstate highway, HV seems to last about a mile after I'm cruising at 65+ mph. Was at 2.9 m/kWh before I started using Auto HV/EV mode most of the time,. I haven't particularly changed my driving style besides using Auto HV/EV and now have 3.0 m/kWh.

Back