ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Even BMW is walking away

Went looking for numbers.

BMW sold about 360K cars in N. America in 2023. EV sales accounted for 12.5% for BMW. Overall, 1.2 million EVs of all brands were sold in 2023 in the USA, about 7% of the total sales.

My older brother loves BMW. Has had one since the 1980s after he finished grad school. Bought used when absolutely necessary since he keeps a car forever. Helped a lot that he found a good mechanic in DC. In his younger days, he drove pretty fast . . . and had the speeding tickets to prove it.

March 2024

January 2023

Hydrogen seems to be coming along, faster then I expected. I'm encouraged.

I'm sure that some percentage of the people who bought EVs did so because they want to do something to reduce CO2. Hydrogen could also get that kind of initial bump. It it ends up being practical, it will move beyond that.

If/when it happens, I'd love to see the oil companies get into supplying hydrogen.

Only skimmed this article a bit. Way more detail than I usually bother to read. Moving big trucks and/or buses to hydrogen seems like it would help CO2 levels, but it's not that simple.

November 2023

The idea of using hydrogen to run big trucks was tried for mining operations in Australia. But BEVs seem to be winning out over hydrogen.

July 2023 (Australia)

The problem with Hydrogen is you need Hydrogen. It's not just floating around somewhere so you need to use electrolysis to convert water (which is already becoming a scarce resource in parts of the world). There are various numbers out there depending on the implementation but it's not a highly efficient process. Then (much like with gas) you continue to lose efficiency in transportation and combustion.

Electricity only looses a few % in transmission and then local delivery. Plus I love not having to go to a gas station.

Could this work in NYC? It's a test of using a street light pole as the source for an EV charger in a coastal town in Australia. There are pictures in the article.

May 14, 2024 (Australia)
"
Essential Energy is empowering electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure in regional NSW with a four-week trial of an innovative streetlight EV charger to test the concept of low-impact, convenient charging in regional NSW.

The prototype has been installed in the Mid North Coast town of Port Macquarie to trial an innovative way to increase charging options for residents and visitors to regional, rural and remote communities.
. . ."

I stand corrected about combustion, it works similar to a battery, but the efficiency is still not that great at 40-60%: https://www.plugpower.com/fuel-cell-power/fuel-cell-benefits/#:~:text=3.,the U.S. Department of Energy.

EVs get over 77% where ICE gets 12-30%, and that's just during combustion! Nevermind extraction, shipping, refining, shipping, and ground transportation.

BMWs have a different feel. They’re fast and smooth and the steering is super tight. There’s no slack in the accelerator. You hit it it and it is on instantly but still smooth somehow. They’re great but I can’t be trusted with one- i would get so many tickets I would lose my license

Back