ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I'll tell you in a runch when you really lean on it and that CRV hybrid takes off.

It's heavy but it can get out of its way. It seems like when you really floor it. You get all the battery and all the gas at once.

It's heavy but it can get out of its way. It seems like when you really floor it. You get all the battery and all the gas at once.
Hmm, wonder if Sport mode on my RAV4 Prime would kick in the rear electric motor sooner. I've seen the rear electric motor come on briefly when accelerating faster than usual. With the ICE and both electric motors active, the total goes to 302 horsepower. The Prime uses the same 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson-cycle gas engine as the RAV4 Hybrid rated at 176 hp.

Learned stuff about Sport mode from this video. I only played with Sport mode the first trip I took to the Shenandoah mountains with the 2021 RAV4 Prime SE (daughter has that one now). Haven't used it with the 2022 RAV4 Prime XSE I've been driving since August 2022, which has 35,000+ miles already.

September 2023

Last edited:
Both are crazy. Is a cannonball one driver in a car? (I know they have lookouts).
Found a video about the 2021 Cannonball run. Actually two cross-country drives in the same week. The background and set up is described in the first 5 minutes of the video.

The drive from LA to NYC to get the car in position broke the record at the time, even though that was really just to get the Tesla Model S into position. The traditional Cannonball direction is from NYC to LA. The "co-driver" going east was the guy's cousin . . . who had never driven a Tesla. The co-driver on the way west didn't get involved until 36 hours before the start in NYC. On top of that, the driving was done in a rented Tesla because Tesla didn't deliver the guy's Model S in time. He was expecting one in August that wasn't delivered until December of that year. He runs a rental car company, so buying the car was partially for the business. The existence of the faster Version 3 Tesla charging stations was one reason the record could be beaten with some planning.

The comments about speed were interesting. Didn't exactly go the speed limit, but not as fast as some other Cannonball runs either because the goal was to balance efficiency with speed. That idea also came into play when it came to the charging strategy. The Cannonball run has been done faster since 2021 but in a modified EV, not a stock EV.

October 2021

Last edited:
Don't give me salted licorice, and no one gets hurt.

Here's an EV from 1977....
PXL_20240517_122037875.jpg

PXL_20240517_122013415.jpg

Back