ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

With the rapid depreciation of new EVs & EV tech improvements it makes more sense to lease an EV than own one.
As the somewhat old saying goes, “Y'all own nothing and like it".

This comparison of the BYD Atto 3 is much more watchable for me. It's from New Zealand from late 2022. Gives a pretty good sense of the features while driving out on the highway. There is a map of all the chargers in NZ towards the end. One company is using all green sources (wind, hydro, solar). I can stop looking for more videos now. 🙃

December 2022

March 2024

Last edited:
A while back there was talk about using a F150 Lightning as a power source. The BYD Atto can do that too. In Feb 2023, a cyclone hit parts of New Zealand. BYD, Hyundai, and MG sent out cars with Vehicle to Load (V2L) adapters to some households. The video includes the drive to a house, which required some effort because the first two routes were impassable because of road damage or debris blocking the road.

February 2023

The only real "problem" with EV's right now is the battery (cost, materials, and range). Much R&D is going into this world wide right now. Better and cheaper batteries will eventually become available. Other than that, the cost of manufacturing an EV is much less than an ICE. No engine and all of the components that go with it, cooling system, exhaust including catalytic converter, etc. Electric motors last much longer with much less maintenance (no oil changes every so many miles). It's not a matter of if, but when they will become the dominant type of vehicle. Cost will be a driving factor, initial and lifetime operation. A lot of the cost of EV's today is amortizing the R&D costs. The bean counters want that money back now.
I still think that hydrogen fuel cells will eventually take over from plug in EV's.
As for subsidizing EV's; It didn't make sense to spend billions of 60's and 70's dollars to get 11 pounds of moon rocks. The payback was it put the U.S. in the lead technologically and economically for the next 50 years. If we don't invest in the technology, other countries will and they are already ahead of us.

OK, let's say he has an agenda. Does that make what he's saying wrong? He listed some incredibly reliable sources for what he says.

It's most likely the CEO of Toyota -- LOL

Back