ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The battery definitely makes them feel disposable and is absolutely the weak link. But electric motors are significantly more reliable and lower maintenance than ICE. Just like turbine engines are more reliable than piston engines and have much longer TBH intervals. I believe once they solve the battery issues I think many of us skeptics will feel different. I know I will.

I know when I go to the golf course I always prefer an electric cart over a gas cart. In fact I don't know anyone that prefers a gas cart when an electric is available.

In other news I see Honda is going to offer a hydrogen fuel/plug-in hybrid CR-V.

I'm sitting happily with my ICE CRv for now but it's interesting to watch as the tech evolves.
I honestly don't know about electric motors. I know we used to rebuild alternators, starters, windshield wiper motors, etc. but now they just get replaced.
They get replaced because it's all junk from China. Can't get parts and shitty build.

The Seagull gets all the headlines due to its 11k price point but looking at it next to those F150s you can see why it would never sell here in the US

The Sea Lion is much more interesting

Sadly Biden announced today that we're going to increase tariffs on Chinese solar panels, batteries and EVs. I guess fighting climate change needs to take a back seat to fighting China
Pretty sure you can do both

I honestly don't know about electric motors. I know we used to rebuild alternators, starters, windshield wiper motors, etc. but now they just get replaced.
They get replaced because it's all junk from China. Can't get parts and shitty build.
Luckily the motors are not built there.

Agreed theres a lot of crap out there but lots of good also. Heck my daughter's new GM car needed a new starter before it had 15k miles. She now drives a trouble-free Subaru 😁 But I've never replaced a starter nor motor in any Honda I've owned.

The rare earth magnet motors are pretty amazing and powerful. Think about those little motors in drones. We have electric motors all over the place in our daily lives. Motors in our phones, smart watches, refrigerators, microwaves, computer fans, hard drives, furnaces, air-conditioner compressors etc etc. Some of these can run on and on for years and years without a bit of trouble.

I'll go back to the turbine vs piston aircraft engine. Fewer moving parts means more reliable. Aircraft turbine engines have a failure rate of one per 375,000 flight hours, while piston engines have a failure rate of one per 3,200 flight hours. That's more than 100x difference.

I'm looking forward to the technology change, but for me personally not before it's good enough for me.

Thank you again to all you early adopters 😁

Last edited:
Agreed theres a lot of crap out there but lots of good also. Heck my daughter's new GM car needed a new starter before it had 15k miles. She now drives a trouble-free Subaru 😁 But I've never replaced a starter nor motor in any Honda I've owned.

The rare earth magnet motors are pretty amazing and powerful. Think about those little motors in drones. We have electric motors all over the place in our daily lives. Motors in our phones, smart watches, refrigerators, microwaves, computer fans, hard drives, furnaces, air-conditioner compressors etc etc. Some of these can run on and on for years and years without a bit of trouble.
I'll go back to the turbine vs piston aircraft engine. Fewer moving parts means more reliable. Aircraft turbine engines have a failure rate of one per 375,000 flight hours, while piston engines have a failure rate of one per 3,200 flight hours. That's more than 100x difference.

I'm looking forward to the technology change, but for me personally not before it's good enough for me.

Thank you again to all you early adopters 😁
I like it!

And yes, God bless those going through the wall first!

When's the last time you stripped a bolt, or a screw head on something from the 70's vs the 2000's. Yeah, definitely a bunch of crap out there ....

LoL

Back